Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I would agree with newarts for the most part, but if you want a cheaper alternative to a dedicated 1:1 macro lens, you could try an auto extension tube set. The advantage being you can use them on whatever lenses you own to allow closer focus. (not necessarily macro though - depends on the focal length of the lens and it's minimum focus distance)
I've used my extension tubes with almost every lens I have, everything from my Sigma 135-400 to my 40mm Limited. I think I left them at home 4 times in the past few years and it always seems when I leave them at home I end up wishing I brought them.
I don't have a set of tubes, just a 50mm tube that I bought to give me a bit closer view with the M 400/5.6 that has closest focus at 5 meters (16.5 feet). With the 50mm tube, I get close enough that it covers 5x7.5 inches on film. Definitely far from a macro lens, but it is surprising how useful that little bit of closer can be. I have yet to use it on the K10D, but I am looking forward to the Western Painted Turtle hatchings at the Creston Wildlife Refuge.

It also works to move my M 100/4 macro which only focuses to 1:2 at closest point into the range of 1:2 through 1:1. This is not as convenient as a lens that goes from infinity focus to 1:1, but I have it if I need it.

04-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #32

Macro Setup

Just how macro do you want to go? Keep in mind that the 'more macro', the less depth of field. At some point hand held won't do it, and you're forced into a tripod or some other support. In my case, the limit on handheld is a bare 50mm lens, or perhaps a short extension ring. For more serious macro, I use a 105/2.8 on a bellows with support. This hardware is all M42 stuff (leftover from my Spotmatic days), and needs the adapter ring to fit my *ist DS. Makes it tough if you have to shoot in a hurry! I use the 105 to avoid the distortion you get when the object is closer to the lens than the image. Otherwise, such as with a 50mm, you're into reversing the lens.

Al
04-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
RE: How Macro.

HUmm, that's a good question. (How macro ¿?).

Well. I have an interest in restoring old computers and we have started developing a web site for our group which I hope to develop using Joomla. So it would be nice to be able to do some quality pictures of circuit boards and such.

See here for examples.

http://shazam.zapto.org/igal/system-80-1/13.html
http://shazam.zapto.org/igal/starfire-1/16.html
http://shazam.zapto.org/igal/starfire-1/19.html

The shots were taken with my Canon A430 powershot as the Pentax gear I currently have just couldn't do it. and I so wanted to use the Pentax.
Excuse the quality. It's hard to hold the camera still at that macro setting.

And yes I do realise a tripod is going to have to be on my wanted list very soon also.

Actually there are a number of groups that I'm involved with and will host sites for at the same location. Amateur radio, Starfire (Holden motor) preservation, Retro computing, & Telephreak [.AU] . (Yes I have too many interests! hehe).

Most of these would benefit from macro shots for publishing articles both on paper and the web.

I also recently spent a ludicrist amount of time rebuilding an industrial color gloss laser so I can print out large A4 colour pictures and also newsletters. I had to use two dead ones but eventually found a combination of parts that removed most of the current faults in each. I chose these due to their low running costs and availability of parts on the second hand market. They also duplex print with out double running.

See here.

Printer
http://shazam.zapto.org/igal/fs-c5016n/

Sample print after partial repair.
http://shazam.zapto.org/igal/fs-c5016n/10.html

Eventually we might go to something newer but for now these are an amazing work horse and quiet cheap for their age. If anyone see's any of these floating around for parts and toner etc please let me know. (Kyocera FS-C5016N & Toners TK-500_ [IE TK-500M = megenta and so on]).

I'll post a shopping list and cross post the forum link here. You guys have been a big help to date, I'd love some further feed back on some EBay items I am looking at currently.

These include some IR (720); UV; Polaliser; 1+;2+;4+;10+ filters, fish eye & macro adapters, 2x Tele converter, Tripod, & flash.

I think this will get me moving with what I want to do. But I do realise that I will get quality losses compared to using the good gear. But it's all a matter of degree's really depending on ones budget and more so working with what you have to the best of your ability.

.-.-.
04-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Im sure it gets worse.

In the last few weeks I have bought:

Pentax A* 300mm f2.8
Pentax 1.4X-L & 2X-L Teleconverters
Sigma 50-500mm
Pentax DA 10-17mm
Pentax Refconverter M
Pentax DA 12-24mm
Pentax DA 50-300mm
Sigma 15-30mm EX DG

04-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shadowulf Quote
I am currently eyeing a lens that is not quite as wide as my 17-70, but is longer at the tele end, to use as my "walk-around" lens. this lens would cover about 80% of my day to day photo needs. And then I will probably sell the 17-70 to get either a "super-wide" or a "super-telephoto". Then again, I could use a good flashgun.
I have loved my FA24-90/3.5-4.5 for this purpose, though recently got a DA17-70/4 for some of those one-lens days. I think the 24-90 is a little better but is more practical when combined with a wider lens (such as 16-45 or 12-24). I would never carry them at the same time of course so someday I may decide to part with one of them.
04-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #36

Original Poster
These item's interest me a lot. Let me know if you see any good sales please.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Im sure it gets worse.

In the last few weeks I have bought:
Pentax 1.4X-L & 2X-L Teleconverters
Pentax DA 50-300mm
04-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #37

Sorry for the hijack

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I have loved my FA24-90/3.5-4.5 for this purpose, though recently got a DA17-70/4 for some of those one-lens days. I think the 24-90 is a little better but is more practical when combined with a wider lens (such as 16-45 or 12-24). I would never carry them at the same time of course so someday I may decide to part with one of them.
I picked up a Sigma 24-135mm for around $150 from fleabay. It does what I need it to do. Now the urges for that 12-24 are starting.

04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I have owned that 24-90 for about eight years now, and it is an excellent lens. I find it too long for the DSLR, though. The DA* 16-50 comes close, so I bought it. It works out to about 24-75. I can always crop to 90mm FOV if I have to. Only two things convinced me to get the 16-50 rather than the well reviewed DA 16-45, the weather sealing and the extra 5mm.