Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for macro, I'd second the recommendation for a Raynox closeup attachment lens - under $50 to turn your favorite telephoto lens into a very usable 1:1 or better macro lens.

Beyond that, the next lens I'd personally recomend is something "fast" (large maximum f-stop - f/2.8 or better) for use in low light. After that, you'll probably find you can kind of take a break. Eventually you'll probably find you want *more* fast lenses, and maybe something wider than 18, maybe something even longer than 300 - but consider that 18-55 + 50-200 or 55-300 + Raynox + "fast" lens (prime or zoom) already exceeds the capbilities of any fixed lens camera on the marklet.

03-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
The "perfect" number of lenses you need to own can be expressed by this simple equation:

n+1 = total lens happiness

n = the number of lenses you already own.
Hilarious... yet true...

I bide my time by buying older manual glass for cheap. great pics without the wallet pain.
03-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
It is easy to quit buying lenses. I do it all the time.

Regarding a macro lens I suggest that whatever you get be able to do 1:1 magnification without attachments.

<snip>
YOU NEED A MACRO LENS. ANY 1:1 MACRO LENS WITH CLEAR GLASS SHOULD DO.
I would agree with newarts for the most part, but if you want a cheaper alternative to a dedicated 1:1 macro lens, you could try an auto extension tube set. The advantage being you can use them on whatever lenses you own to allow closer focus. (not necessarily macro though - depends on the focal length of the lens and it's minimum focus distance)
I've used my extension tubes with almost every lens I have, everything from my Sigma 135-400 to my 40mm Limited. I think I left them at home 4 times in the past few years and it always seems when I leave them at home I end up wishing I brought them.
03-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be objective and don't allow your emotions into buying the next best lens.
If it's macro you'll be shooting often, just get yourself a decent macro, like an FA 100/2.8, which can do a brilliant job at a very reasonable price, and don't look any further...

03-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
YOU NEED A MACRO LENS. ANY 1:1 MACRO LENS WITH CLEAR GLASS SHOULD DO.
Ignore that. I was wrong. I'm an idiot.

The FIRST extra lens you need is a fast fifty. Like an SMC F 50:1.7. Inside, at night, at dawn, at dusk, in bistros, the theater, no flash...., natural shadows, wonderful portraits, inexpensive...., shallow depth of field, a dramatic increase in your range of possibilities. Small, lightweight. Oooo.

Then the macro! Or a long prime. Or...

So little time, so few resources, so many possible lenses!

Dave

Buy used. Then you can buy more!
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Is this a never ending thing with DSLR? Your forever buying lens's? Or does it actually stop somewhere?
It's like any hobby - you can spend as much money as you want. There are people who pay more for their speaker cords than I paid for my 40" widescreen TV. There are people who pay more for their tires than I paid for my (used) car. And so on.

It's up to you to decide when it's no longer worth it to you to spend more money.
03-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A point and shoot is an "all in one" solution to photography. As such, it does a lot of things fairly well, but none of them great. I think the most important thing is to get to know your equipment. I tend to get a new lens every year and when I get it, I shoot with it a lot. That way I get to know its strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't matter what lens you have with you, you can always take a photo, however the photo you will take will be different based on the lens you have on your camera at the time. It doesn't have to be terribly expensive as others have said, but auto focus and metering do come at a cost...

03-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #23

Another possibility for you might be the Cosina 100/3.5 macro. Also branded as Vivitar, Phoenix, Pentax et al. It gives you 1:2 at 17" and with the included screw-on adapter 1:1 at like 3". You also get a decent long portrait lens. Very lightweight. Enjoys a good reputation, google it and you will find a number of reviews. Best of all, it can be bought at a very reasonable price, check the marketplace forum.
03-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #24
Behind-Camera

Hi guys. Well I'm totally new to this.

Got myself a K200D and the first thing I found was that the standard lens (18-55) didn't have enough reach.

I got myself a 50-200 next. And really need a 55-300 I think for taking bird shots.

But I now find I can't do macro either with the 18-55.

I've actually gone back to my Canon powershot 430 for macro.

Is this a never ending thing with DSLR? Your forever buying lens's?

Or does it actually stop somewhere?

.-.-.
Hello there. LBA ends when you have the pro optics. You have to choose what do you want to do and then buy a lens. I have some advices for beginners in my blog.

Last edited by Behind-Camera; 03-12-2009 at 07:44 AM.
03-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't know if LBA ever ends. I don't know if I'll ever have 'enough' of the 'right' lenses. The list in my .sig below is only partial - I seem to have about 70 that I can mount on my K20D, not counting the bellows-only lenses and those that I'm determined to sell. Yeah, the frenzy hit me last year - then I ran out of money. When I get back from this several-months journey, I'll sell the extras, and probably buy some more.

The irony is, I often preach that almost ANY lens will suffice, if it generally fits your needs. Generations of pro photographers shot with only a 'normal' lens, maybe supplemented with a medium wide and a short tele, with maybe a tube and/or reversing ring for macro work. Need a bigger image? Move closer. Need a wider shot? Step back. Legs are the cheapest zoom.

Of all the lenses I've acquired, the first three are still what I throw in my shoulder bag for a lightweight load: DA 10-17, DA 18-250, FA 50/1.4 (the Nifty Fifty). I'll toss in a Raynox 250 for quick'n'dirty macros. I sometimes replace the 18-250 with a 'kit' DA 18-55 and FA 100-300. These all make for a good basic kit.

Often I'm up before dawn, prowling the shadowed town. Then I use a 'faster' manual kit: Zenitar 16/2.8, Vivitar 24/2, Pentax-M 28/2.8, Helios-44 58/2, Jupiter-9 85/2, Takumar-B 135/2.5, Vivitar 200/3.5. Or I'll just use the prior lightweight kit, and a tripod. A good tripod likely costs less than a good fast lens.

Will it ever end? Dunno, I ain't dead yet. How many lenses are too many? When they cascade down upon you as you pass the overloaded shelves, that's a sign. When the divorce papers are served, that's a final notice. Enjoy.
04-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #26

Original Poster
My budget measn I will have to compromise.

Hi guys, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread. And boy did I have some reading to do! hehe.

I think I must have hit a common conundrum with most owners.

OK,. So the prices of these things is going to be my biggest problem.

I think I will save for one more lens yet (SMCP DA 55-300mm).
I'm hoping to see some good prices over the following year with USA or Canadian sales. IF the local's can't match then I will just buy abroad. As much as I would prefer not to the price rises leave me little choice. But so far the local rep has gone out of his way to get me price matches for internet prices before.

Anyhow, I think I will have to settle for some cheaper options like filters etc in the mean time and just put up with the limitations.

Thanks for all the good info though guys. I have a good idea now what to look for should I win the lotto or marry a rich widower. hehe.

.-.-.
04-14-2009, 05:37 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

.-.-.
Eventually you run out of money and credit. It stops then.
04-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #28
racinsince55

Hi guys. Well I'm totally new to this.

Got myself a K200D and the first thing I found was that the standard lens (18-55) didn't have enough reach.

I got myself a 50-200 next. And really need a 55-300 I think for taking bird shots.

But I now find I can't do macro either with the 18-55.

I've actually gone back to my Canon powershot 430 for macro.

.-.-.
Well, VK4AKP,

Photography is like Ham Radio. Just can never just have enough. There is always something else you want/need/have to have.

My Son has both addictions and I have only the Photography addiction.
04-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

There are two answers to the "how many lenses" question, depending on your personality:

a.) 1

b.) Pick any number. Add 1. Repeat.

People who choose a.) are crazy. Stay away from them. Run if possible.
04-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ymot Quote
Another possibility for you might be the Cosina 100/3.5 macro. Also branded as Vivitar, Phoenix, Pentax et al. It gives you 1:2 at 17" and with the included screw-on adapter 1:1 at like 3". You also get a decent long portrait lens. Very lightweight. Enjoys a good reputation, google it and you will find a number of reviews. Best of all, it can be bought at a very reasonable price, check the marketplace forum.
I'll second that. They go for about $100 US new (~$120 AUS?). It wasn't my first choice, but I had need for 1:1 macro in 2 days, and this was the only one I could find that would ship overnight. I was pleasantly surprised. Mine happens to be Promaster branded, but they're all the same Cosina lens.