Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #1

What is your e-dial default?

With no immediate announcement from PMA for a much anticipated Pentax K30D, I decided to take advantage of the new price reduction. I took delivery on my new K20D yesterday. Sweet.

Now I want to personalize my cameras settings. I have a question regarding your recommended Custom Settings. Specifically what are your Front and Back e-dial settlings? Do you keep the default? Of course, there is no right or wrong answer. It is a matter of personal preference. But it would be interesting to see the actual settings and hear some of your hear your reasoning for your selection.

20. e-dial in Program 1 Tv Av 2 Av Tv 3 +/- P Shift 4 P Shift +/- 5 ---- ----
21. e-dial in Sv mode 1 --- ISO 2 P Shift ISO 3 ISO P Shift
22. e-dial in Tv mode 1 Tv --- 2 Tv +/- 3 +/- Tv 4 Tv ISO 5 ISO Tv
23. e-dial in Av mode 1 --- Av 2 +/- Av 3 Av +/- 4 ISO Av 5 Av ISO
24. e-dial in TAv & M 1 Tv Av 2 Av Tv
25. e-dial in B & X 1 --- Av 2 Av ---

Other default settings of special interest are the Program Line and the Green Button. What your settings?

1. Program Line 1 Normal 2 Hi Speed 3 Depth 4 MTF
26. Green button Tav & M 1 Program Line 2 Tv Shift 3 Av Shift

Recommended changes to any of the other default settings your want to share would be appreciated as well.

03-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always shoot in aperture priority and have the rear dial set to adjust the aperture (default i think) and the front dial to adjust exposure compensation. I like this because I can quickly correct for any over or under exposure that may occur.
03-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was shooting mostly in Av but was recently re-enlightened to Pentax's HyperProgram mode (P) with MTF. I've been using MTF because I've been wanting to see how shooting with what Pentax recommends for the "best" setting on a given lens.

I have my rear dial set to aperture control and front dial set to shutter control. I can control Ev with the +/- and front dial and set ISO with the OK button and front dial.

It's one extra step to open up/stop down aperture if you pull the camera out of the bag and flip it on since it resets to the MTF setting for the lens attached.
03-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I'm exactly the same as Stephen: exp. comp. up front; aperture in back. I shoot exclusively in aperture priority.
Standard program line, never used the green button in 15 years with Pentax. Not even sure when the green button came about? I also set the custom function for EV steps to 1/3 instead of the standard half stop steps--just a throwback to my old slide shooting days...OK, I still shoot some slides, but not like the "good ol' days." I can be picky about exposure with 1/3 steps and I have "favorite" settings for certain circumstances and those are all in 1/3 step increments...

03-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jjay Quote
But it would be interesting to see the actual settings and hear some of your hear your reasoning for your selection.

20. e-dial in Program 1 Tv Av 2 Av Tv 3 +/- P Shift 4 P Shift +/- 5 ---- ----
21. e-dial in Sv mode 1 --- ISO 2 P Shift ISO 3 ISO P Shift
22. e-dial in Tv mode 1 Tv --- 2 Tv +/- 3 +/- Tv 4 Tv ISO 5 ISO Tv
23. e-dial in Av mode 1 --- Av 2 +/- Av 3 Av +/- 4 ISO Av 5 Av ISO
24. e-dial in TAv & M 1 Tv Av 2 Av Tv
25. e-dial in B & X 1 --- Av 2 Av ---

Other default settings of special interest are the Program Line and the Green Button. What your settings?

1. Program Line 1 Normal 2 Hi Speed 3 Depth 4 MTF
26. Green button Tav & M 1 Program Line 2 Tv Shift 3 Av Shift

Recommended changes to any of the other default settings your want to share would be appreciated as well.
In the Custom Menu
20. set to 2
21. set to 3
22. set to 3
23. set to 3
24. set to 2
25. set to 2

Basically Av on the front, Tv on the back. Unless another setting is used in that spot. Just makes it a lot easier to remember for me.

1. set to 4, I figure starting off at the best resolution according to the lens in "P" is best.

26. set to 1, I figure it to be the "awe sh*t" button, give me the best settings to start over with.

Other settings
11. set to 3, because I have had some strange outcomes using AWB with the on-camera flash.
03-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I always control aperture with the front dial and shutter speed with the back. In Av/Tv modes, the opposite wheel controls EV comp. It just makes sense to me and I don't get confused based on what mode I'm shooting in.
03-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Damn Brit

What are your normal settings? That's pretty basic stuff to be knowing and yet you are worried about the next new camera.
Best to put your training wheels back on and read the manual.

Moved to beginners forum.
03-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Funny thing - I have the dials and usually wish I didn't.

I shoot mostly in some version of P, and if I accidently jog a dial (usually the front) between shots, I may not catch it (wearing glasses - in some cases doubled with dark shades, too - makes it difficult to get close enough to the viewfinder to see all the info, or I'm concentrating on the subject...) and end up shooting at 1/15 and f27 or something...

I do like the dials - when I press another button to activate them (such as EV or ISO), though.

I have them at the factory setting - Av front, Tv rear.