Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really think that before you can start being creative, you have to learn basic rules of photography. Only then can you decide when you will break them. The other thing is to know your camera. Understanding how to get the proper exposure in a given situation drove me nuts in the beginning. I couldn't understand why my sunset pics looked bright and washed out when they looked vibrant to my eyes. Now, at least I know how to get my photo how to look the way I want it to, without having to try to photoshop it in afterward. I used to think that the difference between pros and amateurs was their ability to photoshop, but I know now that it really is the ability to produce what they want in-camera.

03-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I love this response and is my opinion exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really think that before you can start being creative, you have to learn basic rules of photography. Only then can you decide when you will break them. The other thing is to know your camera. Understanding how to get the proper exposure in a given situation drove me nuts in the beginning. I couldn't understand why my sunset pics looked bright and washed out when they looked vibrant to my eyes. Now, at least I know how to get my photo how to look the way I want it to, without having to try to photoshop it in afterward. I used to think that the difference between pros and amateurs was their ability to photoshop, but I know now that it really is the ability to produce what they want in-camera.
03-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #33

Learn to see...

Learning to See
03-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #34

Great topic, great posts.
First thing I would suggest, as some others have mentioned, find something you like or know really well. Tell a story with it through photos. Your intimate knowledge will usually show something that others are not aware of or don't think about.

Keep looking at photos. Surround yourself with photographers through books, forums(like this one), sites, and local photo clubs.

One thing that helped me "see" is to take some drawing classes(im sure painting will work too). I can't draw worth a lick, but you learn to see variations in densities quite well. Before you know it you are seeing it all around you when you are out and about.

A book/class that help me wrap my head around what is a good image or what makes a good image is "Perception and Imaging" by Richard Zakia. In the book he goes over Gestalt theory, what attracts the human eye to certain visual things. It was a real eye opener for me. YMMV

Another thing that helps me is shooting with a tripod and prime when I need to slow down. Often times I get so excited about where I am or what I am shooting I rush the photo. Using a tripod and prime slows me down, makes me think and concentrate on my image. Probably not for everyone but works for me. Obviously some situations it may be impractical. I dont always use a tripod and prime but its a tool.

Spot a scene, person, or object that catches your eye, work it, work it hard. Use a lot of variety with your angles, lenses, dof, ect. Videographers have a 30/30 rule that comes in handy. From one shot to the next you change your angle 30degrees from side to side or up or down, and your subject distance/size 30 percent in your frame.

Shoot, shoot , shoot, oh and keep shooting.