Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #1

Photo browser and/or organizer ...

Hi there...

What software do you use to organize your photos??
Picasa... Pentax Browser ... or other?? I use pentax browser, but, unfortunatly it canīt organize photos like Canon ZoomBrowser Ex, or Picasa ... but ZoomBrowzer can't read the lenses features and Picasa ... well Picasa just don't gives me the information that I want ...

Sorry about my rusty english

Cheers,

03-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Try Lightroom.
I fail to understand this fetish that has developed around EXIF information. Sometimes it seems to me that people think the meta data is more important than the picture itself.
03-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use iPhoto 08 now, and sometimes flirt with Picasa. I'm considering using Adobe Bridge CS3 (from PS Elements 6) more, possibly as an iPhoto replacement. Before I used a Mac, I used Picasa on a PC.
03-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I use FastStone. It is free and does a lot. Here's the LINK

03-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a Mac user, I picked up Aperture 2.x a couple of months ago - and it seems to do everything I need (I.e. PP work and organizing)......

Tim
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I use Picasa for transfer, organizing (strictly chronological), browsing & simple editing ("I'm Feeling Lucky", cropping, etc.) Simple EXIF data in Picasa is also adequate.

I use other programs for more elaborate analysis, manipulation, etc.; Exifer, FocusMagic, ImageJ, Paint Shop Pro, Noise Ninja, Picture Cooler, etc.
03-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Try Lightroom.
I fail to understand this fetish that has developed around EXIF information. Sometimes it seems to me that people think the meta data is more important than the picture itself.
+1 for Lightroom.

As for the EXIF love/hate thing... Having "complete" EXIF reporting is the equivalent of keeping a written photogrpher's journal. Except I don't have to drag around a notebook and pen to record the settings I used on any given shot. And because apps like LR database the information electronically we can easily look up shots, dates, lenses, cameras, you name it for later reference. It's just another tool, but it happens to be a very good one.

03-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use ACDSee Pro. No, it doesn't report the lens info either, although it does report most of the more standardized EXIF info, include focal length, which pretty tells me what i need to know about lenses. If I ever need to know more, I can always send an image over to ExifTool or PhotoMe.
03-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Pentax Photo Browser -
"Extract jpg" from RAW

Firehand.com's Ember (now defunct) -
View jpgs.

Servant Salamander (free file manager) -
Delete dud RAWs and extracted jpgs.

Photo Browser -
Rename RAWs into my naming system

Elements 6 -
Process RAW into jpgs

Ember/Salamander -
as before (final chimp)

Photo Browser -
Exif data list (from RAWs) to master list

Salamander/Ember-
Create folders on HD and Ext HD, copy/move files as needed.
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #10

+1 for ACDSee Pro. I am very comfortable with its interface.
I have also used FastStone and Picasa.

It doesn't hurt to try them all if they offer trial versions.
Just don't try more than two at once =-)
03-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #11

I've always used Picasa until recently and find that although rather basic, it is the easiest to use and the fastest when searching, etc (as long as you've used tags, etc), I use it along with PhotoMe for other info.

Unfortunately it doesn't correctly display .DNG's from my new GX20 so I've been looking for something else and over the past week have tried ACDSee Pro 2.5, Expression Media 2, IDImagerPro and Lightroom 2. They will all do what you want (at a cost) and have features beyond Picasa (though I wouldn't be changing if DNG's were ok).

Personally I think I will go for Lightroom 2 from the above, just because it's the only one that doesn't run like a dog on my PC and Laptop (though it's no where as quick as Picasa).

Also, none of the above will correctly report the lens metadata (specifically, which lens you were using) - I have no idea why they all get it wrong as PhotoMe can correctly identify my lenses.

It looks as though I'm going to have to go through my photo library and re-tag all 10000+ images
03-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
I've always used Picasa until recently and find that although rather basic, it is the easiest to use and the fastest when searching, etc (as long as you've used tags, etc), I use it along with PhotoMe for other info.

Unfortunately it doesn't correctly display .DNG's from my new GX20
Do you have the latest version of Picasa? If you have Picasa 3, it should read and display the GX 20 files properly.
03-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Do you have the latest version of Picasa? If you have Picasa 3, it should read and display the GX 20 files properly.
I do have the latest version. Picasa's RAW engine is based on dcraw which only lists the GX10 as compatible. Picasa does display the images but the colours are all wrong ... See here for a comparison between my K10D DNG image and the GX20 DNG image

If you have any suggestions
03-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for ACDSeePro. I wish it automatically captured the lens name. I use the very handy "batch" tool to quickly and easily fill in the lens name.
03-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #15

I agree. Lightroom.

There is a bit of a learning curve with Lightroom, but once you get a keywording sceme that works for you, it's a breeze to find anything.