Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Hey sajah,

I read in another thread your question whether it's necessary to remove the data pins on the Nikon flash's foot.

If your SB-20 is like my SB-25 (it must be), the answer is no. The locations of the pins in the Nikon flash are different from the locations of the pins on the Pentax hotshoe. In other words, they don't make contact. I didn't remove the pins on my SB-25. It worked fine with my K10D.

Later I also use the SB-25 for my Canon G5. Then I had to remove the pins on the SB-25 because the locations of the pins match.

03-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I have a Pentax 540, but I use a Nikon SB-25 (with the data pins removed, just like yours. Here it is.) and a Vivitar 283 a lot. Mine is a K10D, but I don't think it's different from the *ist DS as far as non-dedicated flash is concerned.

I also use the SB-25 and the 283 with my Canon G5 the same way I use them with the K10D.

- Pentax cameras, any of them, have no way to recognize/acknowledge a non-dedicated flash. I'm surprised that the FZ50 has this feature.

- So you have to set the camera to M mode, shutter speed at max sync speed (it's 1/180 sec for the K10D) or slower. ISO and aperture settings should match the settings on the flash.

- Do not put the data pins of the SB-20 back.

Use the SB-20 on the *ist DS, just as you did with the FZ50. It works fine.
Cool! Thank you so much for the reply. So I guess what matters now is just my DS hotshoe, it's either dirty or damaged/broken

I cant wait to clean the hotshoe again and try the suggested settings. Thanks again for everyone who have replied.
03-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I almost forgot: if you camera has "red-eye reduction" mode, turn it off.

Leaving it on will cause the flash to fire pre-maturely.
03-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Hey sajah,

I read in another thread your question whether it's necessary to remove the data pins on the Nikon flash's foot.

If your SB-20 is like my SB-25 (it must be), the answer is no. The locations of the pins in the Nikon flash are different from the locations of the pins on the Pentax hotshoe. In other words, they don't make contact. I didn't remove the pins on my SB-25. It worked fine with my K10D.

Later I also use the SB-25 for my Canon G5. Then I had to remove the pins on the SB-25 because the locations of the pins match.
I've edited the other thread so people wont waste time replying there again. Anyway, I like to do DIY/modding my photography stuffs like this. Good to know I'm not alone

EDIT:
Sure, I'll remember to turn off red-eye setting. Thanks!

03-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #20

Original Poster
I just want to report that now the Nikon SB-20 flash works perfectly with my istDS, after I scraped a bit of the surface of the hotshoe contacts and also change the batteries of SB-20. Not sure which one solves the problem :ugh:

Once again thank you all for the kind responds