Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Me Again

Trying the suggestions I got in my previoius thread and have camera(K200d) with 18-55 lens set at 18mm shows f3.5, got iso set to 1600 and mode on Tv with shutter speed of 125,,,,took 3 pics in livingroom with the ev compensation ( I THINK) set at 0 , at +2.0 , and at -2.0 and all 3 pics look exactly the same,, too dark??? Am I assuming wrong that if I press down the Av button and rotate the wheel to get those 3 different settings showing in the info window aren't I supposed to be changing the light exposure?? Or is there some other control I am supposed to use?

03-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by olphart Quote
Trying the suggestions I got in my previoius thread and have camera(K200d) with 18-55 lens set at 18mm shows f3.5, got iso set to 1600 and mode on Tv with shutter speed of 125,,,,took 3 pics in livingroom with the ev compensation ( I THINK) set at 0 , at +2.0 , and at -2.0 and all 3 pics look exactly the same,, too dark??? Am I assuming wrong that if I press down the Av button and rotate the wheel to get those 3 different settings showing in the info window aren't I supposed to be changing the light exposure?? Or is there some other control I am supposed to use?
I do not own a K200D, but looking at the EXIF data of the 3 photos would let you understand what really happened.

- Bert
03-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are any of those settings blinking at you in the viewfinder display when you take the picture?
03-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by olphart Quote
Trying the suggestions I got in my previoius thread and have camera(K200d) with 18-55 lens set at 18mm shows f3.5, got iso set to 1600 and mode on Tv with shutter speed of 125,,,,took 3 pics in livingroom with the ev compensation ( I THINK) set at 0 , at +2.0 , and at -2.0 and all 3 pics look exactly the same,, too dark???
In Tv mode, you are saying you want to pick the shutter speed, but will let the camera choose an appropriate aperture. I don't know what kind of lighting you were dealing with, but I'll assume it was relatively dim. Most likely, i order to get a good exposure at ISO 1600 and 1/125 shutter speed, you'd need an aperture of f/1.4 or larger. Well, your lens doesn't have an aperture that large. So there is is not way the camera can possible set the aperture that big. And certainly, dialing in positive compensation - asking the camera to choose an even *larger* aperture - is like asking a homeless man for a loan of a million dollars, and when he says he doesn't have it, asking him for two millions instead.

Dialing in negative compensation would eventually "work" - if you dialed in enough of it, eventually you'd succeed in making the picture *even darker*.

Basically, if you want a brighter picture but don't have a brighter (larger maximum aperture) lens, you're going to need a to start with a slower shutter speed if you use Tv mode.

03-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

1/125 indoors w/ the Kit...yeah..your not going to get much out of that...
try slowing it down....lets say 1/30..... then go from there (set ISO to 800 or something)

kit's max aperture is f/3.5 @ 18mm...thats not wide or "fast"enough really

in body SR helps too...u can notch taht down to like 1/15 and still get away w/ it..(w/ steady hands of course)
03-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Tv mode can EASILY lead to underexposed shots if you don't know what you are doing AND the lens isn't bright enough. If you switch to Av mode, go to f/3.5 @18mm and ISO1600, you'll get a much brighter picture, although the shutter speed would be alot slower.

Honestly, I never use Tv, only Av and Manual.
03-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I posted this in your other thread, but here it is again. Go buy this book: Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K200D: Michael Guncheon: Books
03-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Honestly, I never use Tv, only Av and Manual.
I'm with you there...Av and manual almost exclusively. On a rare occasion I will shoot in P mode when a situation arises where I need to quickly pull the camera from the bag and take a quick shot (kids doing something silly, etc.), but I will still pay close attention to what settings are being decided for me and will quickly over-ride them if necessary.