Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA lens on a plain K-mount film camera

I have a Chinon CE-4 K mount film camera.
I wanted to fool around with DA 18-55 on it.
As i already expected, when mounting it opens up but stops down on DOF preview (and when shooting accordingly).
Is there any way to fool the camera/lens to stay at least wide open when shooting.
(tape down diaphragm release and aperture indicator pins?)
Partially mounting does not help.
What would happen to metering. I guess it is some sort of mechanical aperture readout open aperture metering.
What aperture value does a DA lens mechanically "show" to camera (if any at all)?

Since you can read quite a lot about K mount at here Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page, i would highly appreciate some practical, real life cases. Have someone actually achieved this, how? How was such combo working (or not working), metering.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by ytterbium; 03-18-2009 at 03:07 PM.
03-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could try taping the aperture lever, but masking the electronic contacts won't do you any good (or bad, for that matter. The CE-4 does not know "A" contacts).
Since your Chinon will meter according to the lowest aperture value possible, you will have to compensate manually (by 6-7 stops? I don't know what the aperture range of the 18-55 is )

This is what a DA lens communicates to any K-mount camera not supporting Shutter Priority shooting:
"I'm fully stopped down! "