Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Battery acting weird

So my Optio m20 is acting real weird. I put in some new batteries couple of days ago, and the battery cap is broken so usually it lies around with it open, anyway yesterday I got an error saying Battery depleted. turned itself off, I turned it on the battery indicator showed 3 green stripes. Took some pictures, the screen going off and on randomly, then suddenly the battery indicator had 0 stripes and had turned red. it shut down.

Is this normal when batteries are out? were my batteries old?
is my camera broke?

fyi I just got this camera from my uncle some days ago so this is all new to me.
oh and it wasnt new he had been usin it for awhile....

03-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's possible that the batteries are old and aren't holding their charge long anymore--if you can recharge the batteries and the same thing continues to happen (works for a short time then dies quickly) it is somewhat likely that the battery is worn out. If you have a second battery that would be more easily verified. Personally I've always bought at least one extra battery for every camera I've owned because I don't want the camera dead in the middle of shooting, so usually want a spare.

If the camera won't power up at all after charging, then you might have a more serious problem.
03-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loffen90 Quote
So my Optio m20 is acting real weird. I put in some new batteries couple of days ago, and the battery cap is broken so usually it lies around with it open, anyway yesterday I got an error saying Battery depleted. turned itself off, I turned it on the battery indicator showed 3 green stripes. Took some pictures, the screen going off and on randomly, then suddenly the battery indicator had 0 stripes and had turned red. it shut down.
What "battery cap" is broken? Dio you mean the door of the battery compartment of your camera? If that is the case, your experience simply sounds like bad contact, caused by the broken door. Perhaps you can fix that with some tape or a replacement door.

Ben