Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #1

UV filter as protector lens?

I just got a B+W CPL filter for my DA* 16~50mm lens and the filter is little bit of expensive, so can I screw another UV filter for my CPL filter as a protector lens?

Thanks!

03-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean put a UV on top of the CPL? I wouldn't recommend that even if you got a very good one. A few reasons. You'll need a very good one to keep the image quality and that could cost as much as the CPL so why bother. No matter how good the filter is, you're adding a lot of glass to the front and adding the chance of reflections and image quality loss. Finally stacking 2 filters on a wide lens like this will most likely vignette at wider shooting angles.

Don't bother and just keep the hood on to protect the lens and filter.
03-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
I got your messages. Thanks and have a nice weekend.
03-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I'd keep the CPL in its case, and put a nice Hoya UV or Skylight filter on the lens.

Unless you use the CPL a lot, it's best to keep it off, as you'll lose light with it on.

03-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is one of those topics that has been debated for years (I remember some BBS threads about it back in the early '80s!).

Here's what I do:

Use a medium quality UV filter as a lens cap.

Take the filter off to take photos - if a once-in-a-lifetime shot appears, leave filter on - no wasted seconds to remove the lens cap.

Even a high quality filter can noticibly reduce image contrast due to lens flare. Stacking filters will cause vignetting and further contrast reduction. If you must use a filter (such as the CPL), also consider using a lens hood, or at the very least, shading the front of your lens with a hand or hat.

It's understandable to want to protect your investment, but you have to balance that against image quality. Only you can decide what is best for you.
03-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using filters for lens protection works nominally.

1) A scratch here and then ain't gonna kill the lens, and you won't get those scratches if you're semi-careful.

2) If you're ripped or trip on a rock, the filter won't protect the lens anyway.

3) UV/haze/skylight filters don't add anything to your image, they take away. More of a gimmick to me.
03-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Personally, I would whack B+W filter on for the sake of protection of front element. You never know what would happen.

However, a CPL filter on top of B+W filter is not recommended. The result would be severe degradation of colour in the image, accentuation of the shadows in the image and causing vignetting as a problem.
03-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Inactive Account

More importantly, though (and especially on lenses with metal filter rings) a filter protects the filter ring from getting dented.

Trust me on this.

03-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
More importantly, though (and especially on lenses with metal filter rings) a filter protects the filter ring from getting dented.

Trust me on this.
Amen to that!

I have a 28-105mm with a Hoya UV filter that has a dent on it. If the filter hadn't been there then it would have been the front of the lens damaged. So it worked out for me....