Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #1

Need Advice - K200 or K20??

Hi there,

I'm new to the DSLR world, but have some experience with a standard SLR. I own and love my old K1000 though I rarely use it anymore. And I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert with it.

Anyhow, I've decided to purchase a Pentax and am looking at the K200 and the K20. Truthfully, the K200 has everything I need in a camera and (I'm hoping) is user friendly enough for someone with only a small amount of SLR experience. My dilemma, however, is discovering that on Amazon right now the K20 is only about $165 more than the K200. That doesn't seem like a whole lot more money to get an upgraded camera.

So I guess my question is, should I go ahead and splurge on the K20? I know there will be a lot for me to learn about BOTH cameras and I'm fully committed to doing this. Fortunately, I understand the basic principles of light meters, shutter speeds, apertures, etc...but there's still a whole lot of digital lingo that goes WAY over my head.

The idea that I could learn to master the K20 and end up with a better camera is appealing, but the K200 is a perfectly good camera as well. And I could probably afford to get an extra lens with the money I save.

So obviously I'm torn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

03-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Igilligan

For only 165 dollars more... Absolutely get the K20d!

The ability to adjust front and back focus issue on individual lenses is worth that alone. Not including the wonderful sensor on the K20 and the cropping ability of that sensor... Some higher usable ISO shots....

Absolutely get the K20d

And believe me when I say that the ability to buy a lens with the 165 you save... over time you will be spending so much on lenses that one single lens will amount to a hill of beens... whatever that means.

Get the better body for that difference... If it was 400 or 500 dollars there would be a real argument for the cheaper body + lens
03-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

I was new to DSLRs a few months ago. The K200D is very user friendly. I also kinda feel like I should have gone for the K20D instead. Kinda like a catch 22. If I had gone for the K20 I think I probably would have been overwhelmed. Having gone with the K200 I feel that I have grown out of it. Keep in mind that taking great pictures and knowing how to use your camera are two different things. I have a friend who takes fantastic pictures on her Canon 50D. She never takes if off 'auto' because her techinical knowledge is not there but she has an amazing eye for balance and composition.
03-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the K20...

I have both the K20 and the K200. I went to the beach this weekend and took my K200 with me, but I really missed the K20, particularly when I was doing some sunrise shooting on Saturday morning and could've used the back remote control sensor when I had the camera mounted on my tripod. I tried using the front RC sensor, but got so frustrated that I resorted to using the 2 sec timer.

I also second Gus's comments about the better sensor. When I know I'm going to need to be shooting high ISOs, I reach for the K20.

While the K200 does a lot of the same stuff as the K20, many of it's features are easier to get to without having to go into the menus--metering and AF point dials, for example. It also has a second edial on the front of the camera just below the shutter button, which makes using it in manual mode a lot easier than the K200 which requires you to hold down the AV button in order to change the aperture. On the K20, one dial is set to aperture and the other to shutter speed.

I've got a local friend who's interested in buying my K200 off of me (hopefully by the end of the summer). While I've been thinking about replacing it with a K2000, I'm also considering replacing it with a K10 as a backup to the K20.

Sure the K20 is more weight to lug around, but after missing my K20 so much this weekend, I'll just deal with the extra weight next time around.

Don't worry about having a steep learning curve with the K20; it's a pretty intuitive layout. I don't know if it's just that I'm used to the Pentax system or what, but I've had a harder time figuring out how to use my dad's Canon XSi. If the instruction manual doesn't quite cut it for you, then check out the Magic Lantern guide to the K20, as it's written to be easy to understand.

Moral of the story--get the K20 and have no regrets.

Heather

03-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thank you all for your feedback. I'll definitely take your advice and order the K20...no regrets.

I will also purchase the lantern guide for help and will try not to be too overwhelmed by all the info/functions.

Thanks again!
03-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roonie Quote
Thank you all for your feedback. I'll definitely take your advice and order the K20...no regrets.

I will also purchase the lantern guide for help and will try not to be too overwhelmed by all the info/functions.

Thanks again!
One place for you to start would be to put the camera in Manual exposure mode. There is a scale in the viewfinder that works much like the meter needle in your K1000. You will feel right at home once you get used to which dial is shutter speed and which is aperture - and both are visible in your finder.