Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Buying a flash unit for film SLR

Being a total novice when it comes to flash photography, in particular with separate flash units, I come here to seek some advice. I tried looking on the forum, and elsewhere on the net. I came a cross a few possibilities I suppose (something like a Vivitar 550 FD, Pentax AF 200S or AF 160SA), but I have absolutely no idea what to look at or what the possible differences could be.

My intention is to get a relatively simple, cheap and as compact as possible flash unit to take with me when going out with my ME Super. I'm thinking of getting an ME-II Winder perhaps, as well.

Any ideas?

03-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alex.r Quote
My intention is to get a relatively simple, cheap and as compact as possible flash unit to take with me when going out with my ME Super.
The AF200S would certainly fulfill those requirements, but I'm pretty sure you'd be disappointed with the results. What sort of situations are you anticipating that would require a flash? What film are you shooting with?
03-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I saw one of those AF200S on eBay for about 15 USD (excluding shipping), and it looked relatively compact as well, so that seemed like an option. However you pose the question about the quality of the results.

For the moment I've mainly been shooting with tmax 400, occasionally 100. The situations I'll be photographing will probably be indoors, for instance at friends or at parties. No unusually long flash distances will be required.

Could you specify in what way I might be disappointed with the results given by this unit?

Edit: Also, I'm slightly curious about differences between manual/auto options on flash units? Also, how about the AF160SA? A bit more than double the AF200S' price on eBay, but what are the differences? It seems to be equally compact.

Last edited by alex.r; 03-23-2009 at 11:20 AM.