Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stood up for K20D; Lens Prices

As some of you know I had purple line (banding?) issues with my brand new K20D and I had to take it back. The retailer wanted to sell me a canon XSi and was trying to talk me into a sony alpha (K20D was, and still continues to be out of stock). I said that I was willing to wait for another K20D piece as i was quite impressed with the camera.
The other topic I want to talk about is the rumour that lens prices are going to go up from April 09. I called the Colorado pentax imaging center and was told that they are not aware of any such hike. If any of you know to the contrary please let me know. I do not want to miss out on buying some good glass (DA 40).
Meanwhile here is a picture taken with my faulty K20D and A 50 (you can see the line running through the butterfly's head):

Last edited by mccarvindh; 03-24-2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: pic did not upload
03-24-2009, 04:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of the threads that indicate a rate hike originate in Canada, so it is hard to say if it is country specific or not. On the other hand, the last two lenses I have purchased have been from Prodigital 2000 in Canada, so that would push US prices as well.
03-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #3

My eyesight is impaired. Therefore, I can see a fine line running parallel to the vertical antenna above the head of the butterfly and about 0.5mm to its right. It doesn't continue below the head. It might be obstrusive in an much larger large enlargement. In my screen it is not noticeable.
03-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #4

Weird, I can see a perfect vertical line running from the very top to very bottom of OP's picture.

03-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, there is a line through all my pictures. I have sen
t it in for a replacement. I am now forced to buy the kit lens becasue they are not doing 'body only' anymore.
REgarding the lens hike. I guess it is bound to hit the US as well, if it happening up in Canada. Let us see. REgardless I may delay getting a prime - will just play around with my old manual lens and use the kit for a while...
03-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Igilligan

Sorry to hear of the line...

I ended up with the Kit lens with my package and it is a decent lens. Since I am not a wide shooter, so almost all of the primes I have bought have start around 28 and up. So the 18-55 comes in handy when I really do need a wider lens...

And it does ok too...
03-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Igillian

It is good to know that the 18-55 comes in handy. I was worried that I was wasting money on sth I will not need once I get other primes and quality zooms.
Your picture is sharp!

03-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a real nice shot Gus
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Your picture is sharp!
Yeah, but he has a Catz Eye...
03-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chhayanat Quote
My eyesight is impaired. Therefore, I can see a fine line running parallel to the vertical antenna above the head of the butterfly and about 0.5mm to its right. It doesn't continue below the head. It might be obstrusive in an much larger large enlargement. In my screen it is not noticeable.
I think it's more likely your monitor than eyesight. On my nice monitor at work, I can clearly see the line both above and below. On my older monitor at home (so old color calibration doesn't help much) I can only see it above unless I look very, very closely.
03-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pentaximaging.com says,

QuoteQuote:
Now Save $200 – Our Lowest Price Ever
Right now, save $200 on the feature-rich K20D. Plus, you also get an extended FREE three-year warranty (1 year standard, 2 years extended) when you purchase the K20D by 3/31/2009
03-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I ended up with the Kit lens with my package and it is a decent lens. Since I am not a wide shooter, so almost all of the primes I have bought have start around 28 and up. So the 18-55 comes in handy when I really do need a wider lens...

And it does ok too...
Nice photo and cat

The Pentax kit lens is a pretty decent lens as far as 18-55 kit lenses go.
03-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I think it's more likely your monitor than eyesight. On my nice monitor at work, I can clearly see the line both above and below. On my older monitor at home (so old color calibration doesn't help much) I can only see it above unless I look very, very closely.
This line is very prominent when viewed at full resolution. I have resized the pic to about 15% of original!

BTW, do you think this line can be removed using photoshop and other software effectively? I have tons of pics from an orchid show that I would love to touch up and use them.
03-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

200 dollars off .... still 500 too high

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
pentaximaging.com says: Now Save $200 – Our Lowest Price Ever
Right now, save $200 on the feature-rich K20D. Plus, you also get an extended FREE three-year warranty (1 year standard, 2 years extended) when you purchase the K20D by 3/31/2009
Ah, the trouble is ...they still want 1200 dollars for the camera body after the "savings." I just bought mine for 530 dollars less than that from an authorized dealer online. Jeepers, buyer beware!

best,

germar
03-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
This line is very prominent when viewed at full resolution. I have resized the pic to about 15% of original!

BTW, do you think this line can be removed using photoshop and other software effectively? I have tons of pics from an orchid show that I would love to touch up and use them.
It is easy enough to touch-up in photoshop but you also have to have the patience if you want it to be really unoticable.
You can use the clone tool and the healing brush tool.
Save as a differerent filename though so you can always got back to the original if you messed up the retouch.