Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #1

How to display photos for art exhibition?

I'm new to photography and have never exhibited photos before. I have been asked if I would like to provide some photos for an art exhibition by local artists and amateur photographers.
I have no idea how to prepare the photos for the exhibition. Should they be framed or block mounted or just glued on cardboard or what?
I have 3 or 4 photos of 11 X 14 or 16 X 20 inch sizes.
I dont want to spend money getting them framed at a store or anything.
Any suggestions from people who have done this?

03-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have not exhibited photographs, but I have showcased my sketches and paintings at artshows. I generally get pre-made frames and then use a masking tape to tape my work to the matting inside the frame. It should work for the size of the photographs you mention.
03-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The photos should be either mounted or in a portfolio. Nothing is worse than poor presentation.
We use spray adhesive to mount pictures to foam core at the studio, it seems to work.
03-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I imagine the organizers of the exhibit have some guidelines on mounting preferences. You should just give them a call. I'd bet though that foamcore mounted with spray adhesive and with a basic single color matt (black or white) would be perfectly fine. If you've got any big craft store chains Down Under (a-la HobbyLobby), they likely have a framing section where you can get pre-cut matts and the other supplies very reasonably.

03-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wheatfield,
I have been considering this. Do you cut the foam core to size and then glue the photo or trim the foam core after gluing?
Thanks
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by al_undy Quote
Wheatfield,
I have been considering this. Do you cut the foam core to size and then glue the photo or trim the foam core after gluing?
Thanks
We mount the print to a generously oversized foamcore and then trim the board with a razor knife. We use a drywall square that has masking tape applied to the back for keeping the blade from skipping.
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I don't know what "foam core" is. Is it a kind of board?

Do you glue the photo to the foam core and then glue a matt over the top of the photo, or what?

Do you fix any kind of hanging wire or string to the back of the foam core?

03-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Foamcore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I do is:
- Cut, or buy pre-sized, the foamcore board to fit the matt.
- Measure and mark where 2 opposing corners of the print should line up to fit inside the matt on the foamcore.
- Lightly spray the foamcore with spray adhesive (Elmers makes a good one).
- Carefully place the print onto the foamcore, lining up the corners to the above marks and taking care not to get adhesive on the print, and then using a soft microfiber cloth press the print down to get good adhesion.
- Again carefully, lay the matt over the print and press it with the cloth to secure it.

The whole process takes just a few minutes once you've got the matt and foamcore cut.
03-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Venturi,

I just checked and I can get foam core here easily enough.

Just to confirm ... is the piece of foam core and the matt both the same size?

and .. so the matt is glued to the foam core with the phot in between/

and .. do you usually attach some kidn of wire or string to the back for hanging?

Many thanks for your advice. i found it very helpful.
03-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
Thanks Venturi,

I just checked and I can get foam core here easily enough.

Just to confirm ... is the piece of foam core and the matt both the same size?

and .. so the matt is glued to the foam core with the phot in between/

and .. do you usually attach some kidn of wire or string to the back for hanging?

Many thanks for your advice. i found it very helpful.
Yep. For example, say you have an 8x10 or 8x12 print you want to mount. The "typical" size mounting is 11x14. So, your mat and foam board would be 11"x14", and the mat would have a 7-3/4" by 11-3/4" opening.
Lightly (don't soak it!) spray an even film of the adhesive to the full surface of the foamcore board. Mount the photo onto the board, using the guide markers you made before applying the adhesive, and then mount the mat on top, lining up the corners/edges carefully before applying any pressure.

NOTE: This adhesive stuff has an interesting curing process. Anything you stick to it in the first 30 seconds is PERMANENTLY BONDED to it. But if you wait a minute or two, it works a bit like reusable stickum - you can peel and replace to a degree.
03-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Venturi,

and would you fix some string along the back with tape or something for it to be hung?
03-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ooops, forgot to mention. I would suggest checking with the exhibition coordinator(s) on that. They may want a specific type of hanger, or none at all because they'll be using their own.
One other point along those lines - put a label on the back of the photo indicating "TOP". I know it sounds stupid and obvious but depending on who is hanging/placing the photos and how many they have to go through they can and will screw it up.
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #13

Original Poster
venturi - ok, many thanks. Appreciate your help a lot.

John
03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

another method is to use aluminium frames (see here for what they look like... these ones are 16x20's and the initial pic is 'real' the frames on the links are photoshop creations...) They have brackets screwed in the corners to keep them together. Sounds complicated but you only need to loosen 2 screws to open it up which makes it easy to change the prints. I cut my own mat's but you would be able to get some either pre-cut (try a art shop... but be mindful that 16"x20" is not 40x50cm) or from a frame shop. I tape (top only) the print to the mat (back of) then the frame back keeps it all flat. Wavy prints are nasty IMO. I reuse these when I have prints that fit the mat openings. I bought these frames at a frame shop (one of those ones in shopping centers with lots of pre made framed poster prints), they had lots of different sizes but the 16x20's were about $20 (AUD) each.

As the others have mentioned, ask the organisers, they might have specific requirments.
03-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wheatfield,
Thanks for the info...