Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
emr

In body SR and older zoom lenses?

I've used a couple of old MF prime lenses on my K20D and I know one has to choose the correct focal length for optimal SR. Now I'm buying my first MF zoom and just realized I have no idea what to do with the SR. Should I change the length setting every time I zoom the lens for optimal settings? That doesn't seem very practical. So I assume the way to do it would be to choose a nominal focal length somewhere in the middle of the zoom range. Right?

03-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I ran into the same situation a week ago when I got my A70-210/4. Based on my searching here the advice is to use the lens' minimum focal length. The reasoning being that too little SR is better than too much.
03-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
emr

Thanks, I'll try that when I get my new lens (also a 70-210mm zoom, a Vivitar series 1). Any official advice from Pentax re: this?
03-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about "official" advice, but I definitely agree to little beats too much - you can get some incredibly weird pictures if you have SR focal length set *way* too high. But just a little too high probably doesn't matter. Something to consider - choose a focal length somewhere near the bottom of the range but a kind of unusual number - like, say, 82 - so that if later on you want to find all shots taken with this lens, you can search you images for ones shot with a focal length of 82mm. Lens data is not included in the EXIF for manual lenses, so identifying them by SR focal length is the only way.

03-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
emr

Good idea, I'll try that too.