Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
When you say "I used 1/45 since the camera want's that when using flash", are you using P mode? Don't....Use Manual mode for flash.
I'm using manual with green button set to set shutter speed with fixed aperture. And since I didn't got a clue to what shutter speed to use when using flash and the camera says underexposed. I just pressed the green button to get a shutter speed the camera thought was good.

But now thanks to your nice posts I have something to start with

03-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Either P mode or Green button in M mode will do similar things with flash, which is set it to around 1 / focal length, or maybe 1 / (focal length * 1.5), on the assumption that this gives you at least some chance of the ambent light helpng fill the shadows but also avoiding camera shake. It's really kind of silly, beause at f/11, there is no way the abmient light is going to make a bit of difference - it will be all flash. So it really doesn't matter what you set the shutter speed to unless you open up the aperture (thus reducing DOF again, of course), and/or increase ISO.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 03-27-2009 at 06:16 PM.
03-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #18

Original Poster
Aha I see!
03-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #19
ntx
Forum Member

@Stickannn:
Like others said the aperture is too small (talking about the number ) and that caused the small DOF in your shot... BTW don't think that a greater aperture will give your so much wider DOF: when you have great magnifications the difference between f2.8 and f9 is really small. Also don't spend all your efforts on having the bigger possible aperture: take time to see which aperture/subject-distance couples give best results (expecially in sharpness).
If you can, go with manual or even fixed focus: the latter is really a good practice if you take your camera handheld (you set the focus by moving the camera).
Another issue you should take care of (but I don't want to annoy you too much) is aligning the focus plane with your subject.

I often shot macro photos and the main problem is always the amount of light. I wouldn't shot anything indoor if it's not a fixed subject (ex.: a flower, screws, electronic devices, etc. ...not a spider, at least if alive )... if you want to shot the spider living in you bedroom you need a good flash device: I suggest to not use the built-in flash because is too close to the camera and you can see the shadow made by your lens body (or your fingers in it).
The best shot can be made outdoor using sun light: you could make shot even without a tripod with a fast shutter speeds.
That's one of my shots (I don't embed the image cause isn't made with a Pentax - I still don't own one of them - and the image is also big)... I took it handheld with a close-up lens, shutter speed is 1/500 and the aperture is f5... that aperture is the best one - for my lens - for sharpness, and gives out a decent DOF.

When the DOF isn't enough I usually go (if the subject allow that) taking multiple shots with different focus and merge them in post-production: the results are great but hard to achieve... you need to shot RAW and a tripod is a must (but I also did that with the camera handheld).

Hope this can help you taking your macro shot.

Bye
Jenner

03-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ntx Quote
@Stickannn:
Like others said the aperture is too small (talking about the number ) and that caused the small DOF in your shot... BTW don't think that a greater aperture will give your so much wider DOF: when you have great magnifications the difference between f2.8 and f9 is really small.
Yeah I found a depth of field calculator online and noticed that the DOF didn't change to much between diffrent apertures when the subject was that close.

QuoteOriginally posted by ntx Quote
Another issue you should take care of (but I don't want to annoy you too much) is aligning the focus plane with your subject.
No problem annoy me as much as you want Then maybe I can take some nice macro photos in the future. Thanks for the tips and that macro of yours was very nice.