Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #1

Memory card advice?

Just got my K20D today (god, what a beautiful camera!) and obviously need to purchase an SD memory card. My question is whether or not the brand matters when it comes to these cards. Is there one in particular that is superior or is memory just memory and anything will do?

Also, what size would you recommend?

Thanks!

03-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I bought a SDHC Sandisk eXtreme III 8GB - 20MB/s for my new K20D. I don't know anything about brands or what speed you need to use the K20D full out, but if you plan on taking jpeg+raw photos like I usually do you get 210 photos. And when I'm out taking photos and trying out diffrent settings I always go over 105 photos equal to a 4GB. So I really don't want to go under 8GB. And yes you can buy more then 1 memory but I don't like to change memory card while out taking pictures, if I really don't need to. But it all depends on how trigger happy you are
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever card you choose, make sure its an original. You would not believe how many fake (counterfit) memory cards are out there.

Remember: Anything that has a good name is bound to be counterfitted by someone, and the worst thing about this, is that many times the retailer doesn't know about it.

Be suspicious of low prices, great deals and online vendors.

Check this:
Fake Memory Cards - OCAU Wiki
Beware of fake memory cards
Fake SanDisk Compact Flash card
Fake memory cards demystified - Tips & Tricks - CNET Asia
Beware fake memory cards | Storage Bits | ZDNet.com
03-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #4

In terms of brands I've seen people say they're happy with, whenever the subject comes up:

Transcend for cheap capacity.
Sandisk and Lexar for speed.

"Speed" is in terms of how fast the card can read/write. The camera, in burst mode or otherwise taking pictures as fast as possible, can only take so many before its internal buffer fills up and it's limited by how fast it can write the buffer data to the card. A faster card therefore means you can "burst" a little longer.

It also helps when you're transferring to the computer (gets the job done faster).

If you are interested in the speed though, ask about specifics, because the way manufacturers rate SD cards is rather confusing.

Personally I was after cheap capacity, so a $15 8GB class 6 Transcend works fine for me. I echo Stickannn in that 8GB is a good size, and look for "class 6" if you aren't going to go for the Extreme-type speed cards.

03-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two brands of cards, and have had zero problems with either one of them, Transcend, one 2 gig 150x speed, and one 8 gig SDHC class 6. I also have five OCZ 2 gig 150 x cards, and they all perform well. Check Amazon for the Transcend 8 gig SDHC, I got mine for about $20 shipped with a card reader, great deal !! I bought all of the OCZ cards from Newegg.com for about $9 each.

On my two cameras, I am approaching 20,000 shutter clicks, and haven't had any card failures yet...
03-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use a sandisk 8 GB extreme III and a Delkin e-film pro 16gb for my k20.
been happy w/ the performance for both.

**i did get a faulty card from Delkin...but they sent a replacement rather quickly...**
03-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have Sandisk Ultra II's, Lexar Platinum II's, a Kingston Class 6 and most recently a collection of Transcend Class 6. Never had a problem.

Amazon has the Transcend 16 gb for about $32 from time to time. It holds 660 PEF files.

03-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sd cards

I like Sandisk, I bought a few transend that the size into the camera was not right.

I buy smaller cards to not have every thing on one card, but have never had a failure.
03-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Really, for memory cards, you should try to buy them from a reputable walk-in store, not online. If you do buy online, go only to reputable online stores, not the first one that pops up in google.
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Closed Account

I use SanDisk extreme III 30Mb/s editio. I think does are the fastest curently on the market. But, you can get also good r/w speeds for twise the less money. Sandisk microSD with adapter... extreme II edition I think. User a couple of weeks. Fast enough
04-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Get one that is reputable and reliable.
04-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

i tend to go to newegg or staples for memory cards.

one bit of advice--watch the sunday ads. sandisk seems to run deals often enough--thats how i ended up with 3x 2gb extreme III cards. i recommend those, if for no other reason than the free recovery software which i've thankfully not yet needed. but the software by itself is i think $40

otherwise, i have 3 8gb and 1 16gb transcend, and have had no issues,
04-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
In terms of brands I've seen people say they're happy with, whenever the subject comes up:

Transcend for cheap capacity.
Sandisk and Lexar for speed.

"Speed" is in terms of how fast the card can read/write. The camera, in burst mode or otherwise taking pictures as fast as possible, can only take so many before its internal buffer fills up and it's limited by how fast it can write the buffer data to the card. A faster card therefore means you can "burst" a little longer.

It also helps when you're transferring to the computer (gets the job done faster).

If you are interested in the speed though, ask about specifics, because the way manufacturers rate SD cards is rather confusing.

Personally I was after cheap capacity, so a $15 8GB class 6 Transcend works fine for me. I echo Stickannn in that 8GB is a good size, and look for "class 6" if you aren't going to go for the Extreme-type speed cards.
What a bargain! I just spent $30 at Walmart for an 8 gig PNY

Dang it!
04-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I recently upgraded from a SanDisk Ultra II 4GB card to a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB card on my K10D. The improvement in speed (15MB/s to 30MB/s) is noticeable in the file flush and shot-to-review time when shooting RAW. It is even more noticeable when downloading a couple of hundred shots at once via an external card reader. Be sure you crad reader is up to snuff, though or the extra money you pay for the speed will be wasted.
04-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
a $15 8GB class 6 Transcend
What a bargain! I just spent $30 at Walmart for an 8 gig PNY
Well, it was part of a larger order from NewEgg, so I didn't have to worry about shipping at the time. They do sometimes have free shipping on certain cards.

I've not been impressed with Walmart's camera-related prices; cameras, batteries, flash, it's all significantly higher than online stores. Can't beat their return policies though.