Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wireless Remote wanted. (AA or AAA Batteries).

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I would like to get a wireless remote for my Pentax K200D.

But I would like one that takes normal batteries. Either AA or AAA.

I get sick of trying to buy these weird coin batteries that are hard to find where I live. (Australia).

Plus I'm big on rechargeable batteries to save waste.

Anyone know some good sources to buy? EBay is easiest for me. (Yes I tried a search).

Also interested to know if the genuine Pentax one takes normal batteries.

And which ones work with time laps etc. I read there are some issues with this??

.-.-.

03-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #2

Remote Control C Zoom LS - 37366 - Buy.com

$12 shipped and no batteries needed. My understanding is that its good for 7,000 uses and then you just buy another. If you really want batteries instead you apparently can have them shipped to Pentax for battery replacement sugery. This is all secondhand infor so I might be wrong.
03-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't know that I've seen any wireless that do time lapse though it's possible they exist. You may be interested in radio wireless remotes as well as they have much longer range but this one fails your 'simple battery' requirement. To help you in your search for time lapse, also consider including the keyword "intervalometer" in your searches.
03-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monkeybear Quote
Remote Control C Zoom LS - 37366 - Buy.com

$12 shipped and no batteries needed. My understanding is that its good for 7,000 uses and then you just buy another. If you really want batteries instead you apparently can have them shipped to Pentax for battery replacement sugery. This is all secondhand infor so I might be wrong.
Hmmm.. I have that same remote and I am sure I can replace the battery. It uses one of the coin type but to be honest, I am sure the battery that comes with it will last longer than my K20D in real years of use. For example, I have an old Pentax IQ90wr film point & shoot, that comes with an IR remote. This remote can be used with any of the Ir remote capable pentax bodies. Guess what? It still works and have never replaced the battery.

03-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #5

Note that since it's IR, it should be possible to get either a programmable universal remote, or something like a smartphone/palmtop with an IR port and some software, that will trigger the camera with the appropriate code.

I'm lacking in IR gear so I haven't dug up the info myself, but a quick google search shows some people have even had luck with TV remotes by having them cycle through the pre-programmed manufacturer codes.

And of course TV remotes tend to take the more common battery types.
03-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #6

Heh, turns out the navigate-down button on my DVD remote works. That was easy.

Grab one and start pushing buttons!
03-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

MicroSync Digital - the Smallest, Smartest Wireless Strobe Sync System.

03-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi guys, keep all the good info coming. !!!

My main need is to basically take pictures of myself easily. And I can't be bothered trying to set a timer and Pose.

Also I have a horse and it would be good to get some of me standing next to him. So need to click when the time is right.

I'm a bit of a loner so never have anyone around to take the pictures for me.

Also have been asked by a few Sheila's on Dating sites for some more pictures so I guess I need to do this. hehe.

.-.-.
03-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You can make yourself one by just attaching a "2 AAA battery holder" to a third party remote.
You can get both off ebay.
Most 3rd party remotes use the CR2025 lithium batts which have a 3 volt output.
2 AAA or 2 AA rechargeable batteries connected together in a series puts out 2.4V (1.2V X 2)..or 2 regular AAA/AA will be equivalent to 3V (same as button type CR2025).
Just solder the wires of the batt holder to the appropriate connections of the CR2025 and you've got a DIY remote that takes regular or rechargeable batteries.
Then just mount the battery holder to the remote.

Here are pix of the battery holders. One with an open compartment and the other one with a cover and a switch.

This is easy to do.
Attached Images

03-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you aware that Pentax rates the Remote F for 30,000 shots? I expect to break the silly thing long before I wear out the battery.
04-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
Bought one

Thanks guys.

I ended up just buying one of the cheap tiny generic ones off Ebay that takes the CR2025 lithium battery.

Thanks for the idea of adapting it with a AA or AAA battery holder but I'd rather a proper unit that takes the correct batteries. (cosmetically).

For now the cheapie will do. It was only AUD$6.81 or USD$4.88 including postage.
So for the price it's a throw away item regardless.
I'll get a good Pentax one one day when I see them going for a song.

I haven't had much of a play with it yet so I don't know what range I will get.

But I did notice when I took a couple of test shots that the camera (K200D) doesn't auto focus when taking the picture. Looks like you have to do that before using the remote. Interesting.

Anyhow, thanks guys!

.-.-.
04-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
But I did notice when I took a couple of test shots that the camera (K200D) doesn't auto focus when taking the picture
Try item 9 in the Custom menu
04-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks, that worked well!.

.-.-.