Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Uploading pictures

Sorry guy's,
Not sure were to post this question and I sure feel stupid asking it.
Every time i try to upload pictures via the manage attachment, it tells me that they failed check image size. and when I tried uploading five images , it told me something about a security section missing ,I think, and to notify a moderator. I read the how to posts but... Anyway the file size on the images are about 4Mb. And they are located on my desk top.
Sorry again , new to cameras and don't understand computers very well.
Thank for your help.

03-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what specific problems you might be havng, but I can say that no way should you be trying to upload 4MB files. Use some sort of image editing software to resize them to something viewable on screen - 1000 pixels or so in the longest dimenson - and you'll find the file sizes well under 1MB.
03-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One thing you might want to do is sign up for a free photobucket account and then you can link the image instead of uploading it here. It will resize it on upload (will lose some quality tho) but you can link to your photos from many different forums.
03-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Resize the images to about 900 pixels wide (or 800 high for vertical shots) so people don't have to scroll around.

Every once in awhile I get the security message in the middle of an upload. Just close that window and open the "manage attachments" window again.

03-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

On the bottom of the "manage attachments popup" you'll see a chart that lists allowable file sizes and dimensions. The line for jpeg reads:

Code:
Filetype  	Max Filesize  	Max Width  	Max Height
jpeg 600.0 KB 850 567
So, the maximum allowable jpeg is just 600 kb and 850x567. You'll have to resize to meet all these maximums to attach images. The other, of course, is to use a different host. However, 4mb images are going make things slow and aren't really recommended. Definitely resize. If you want to post full files for some reason it's best to do that in a link.
03-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, so how do I resize these images in iPhoto. When I click on manage attachments here on the forum, it shows me different file types but does not allow me to select anything.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sitting Bull; 03-29-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add info.
03-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #7

Select the photos you want in the iPhoto library, then File->Export. Set Kind to JPEG, and choose a Custom size with a max height of 567. That should result in files you can upload.
03-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
Thanks guys, so how do I resize these images in iPhoto. When I click on manage attachments here on the forum, it shows me different file types but does not allow me to select anything.
Thanks.
Nope, you can't select anything. The list you see there is there to let you know the size of each file type that is allowed at this forum.

03-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got it ,
Thanks for all your help. But how come some of your pictures seem to be bigger than the ones I posted?
Have a great day all.
03-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'd say most of the poeple posting pictures here are not uploading them here - we're uploading them elsewhere, like Flickr or Picasaweb or Zenfolio etc - and then including linkes to thsoe images in our messages here. Those other sites do't necessarly impose these size restrictions. Although still, there is usually no reason to post anything *much* larger than 850 pixels, since it won't fit on most people's screens and will just make the page load more slowly.