Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

All Pentax K20D Users!

Help A Rookie. (ME!) Lol

Can Ya Post Ya Flickrs Please?

I Want Advice On Type Of Lenses I Should Use.. For People Photography..
& That Type Of Stuff..

Also I Would Like To Know What Custom Settings Do Ya Have On Ya K20D..

-=JoN=- who Helped me out alot.. Thank you!

But I would like diff Advice..

03-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There have been many discussions in the lens forum on what lens to use for people so you may like to start there. Just saying people doesn’t narrow it down that much. Studio head portraits or full length. Candid in nightclubs or street. Near or far. It goes on and on. Narrow it down and people will jump out of the woodwork with opinions.

Custom settings are dependent on what you want the camera to do or you do with the camera the most. What are you going to do with you camera?

DAZ
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There has also been a couple of thread on peoples flick accounts - check them out and add them as contacts.
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Outdoor people photography.

03-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Street photography.

There are many kinds of street photography but the more common are near and far. Near you are close like 5-15 feet. Almost in the action. For this a lens around normal 30-40mm is a good bet. You can use a fast lens but you usually will step it down to give good DOF. Some people will even just set the lens to Hyperfocal distance and not focus (this also stops the subject from hearing the focus noise or you could use a DA* 16-50). Some just set the lens, rap the camera strap around their hand and bring the hand up to take quick snaps before others can react. That is one reason some like rangefinder cameras for this kind of photography. As you are so close you risk a Heisenberg problem from you and the camera. It is probably best to keep your speed to more then 1/60-1/125 to keep subject (people) motion blur to a minimum. With your aperture stepped down to get your DOF you may have to up your ISO. As you are not usually zooming you could get a lens like a FA-31mm or a DA-40mm (and many others) but you can start out using you DA 18-55 kit lens begin learning.

With far street photography you can have less of a Heisenberg problem as you are not as close and the subject may not notice you. For this a lens in the 70-150mm range is good. You may have time to zoom but primes are good too. You can open up the lens some and isolate your subject some if you like. This eases the shutter speed/ISO problem some but makes focus more critical. You still need to keep your speed up to more then 1/60-1/125 but SR can help some. Here a fast lens like a DA-70 or a FA-77 (you are usually to far from the subject to hear the focus noise) can help some but I like to use my DA* 50-135. You can use your DA 50-200 to start with.

DAZ
03-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Banned

Welcome SMIB, you got's ta get yo self a 50, it's the best people portrait lens out there.
03-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yo DAZ thanks, I'm glad to see that the advance people help the rooks out here.. lol

03-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Orli Quote
Yo DAZ thanks, I'm glad to see that the advance people help the rooks out here.. lol
A well thought out question, narrowly defined makes it easer for others to answer.

Your welcome.

DAZ