Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax - M on k200d

Hi everybody, this question probably you guys had it a lot of time; I found a second hand Pentax - M 150 f3.5 for a cheap price, my question is, it will work on my K200d? does the lens have AF?
Thanks guys.

03-30-2009, 03:19 AM   #2

Hello
Yes it will work but in manual mode only and does not have AF, aperture/shutter priority will only work wide open. You need to set from menu -> custom setting -> Using aperture ring -> permitted, to get manual lenses working.
Takes a bit time to get used to manual focusing and stop down metering. Set aperture, point towards target, focus, press the green button and the camera will decide the shutter time and if needed focus again. Or some combination of those steps.

Heres reviews of the lens: Pentax Lens Review Database - 150mm F3.5
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Hello Andrea!

Don't be afraid of these M lenses my friend. They will be an excellent option for your K200D. I use M42 screw mounts all the time and a couple K mount manual lenses and not only do they take excellent photographs, they really help you expand your knowledge and increase your skills. Just remember to push that little green button after you set your aperture to get a shutter setting. I usually take one with what the green button suggests and then maybe shoot another couple a bit faster and slower, to see what suits my tastes.

Here is a challenge for you, take a day and mount a manual lens, make your settings correct in the custom menu of the K200 and just shoot with that lens all day. Don't worry about not being able to get some photographs, go to the action, set your composition, make the photographs happen for you. You will never regret using those manual lenses.
03-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"M" or "K" lenses require manual setting of the aperture, manual focusing, and one button push on the camera to meter the scene and set the shutter speed accordingly. You need to buy a lens with an "A" in the designation (ie, "FA", "FAJ", "D-FA", "DA", etc) in order to get auto-focus.

Correction: the last sentence above is wrong, and should read:
You need to buy a lens with an "F" or "D" in the designation in order to get auto-focus.

Have a look at my Pictorial Guide to Using Manual Lenses on the DPReview forum. It's written for the K100D Super, but the K200 is very similar. It'll tell you how to set the camera to use manual lenses and what you need to do to actually shoot with them. It's not as hard as it looks!

Last edited by Sean Nelson; 04-12-2009 at 05:18 PM.
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #5

Excellent reference. I will keep this bookmarked to give to to others, thanks!

Jason

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
"M" or "K" lenses require manual setting of the aperture, manual focusing, and one button push on the camera to meter the scene and set the shutter speed accordingly. You need to buy a lens with an "A" in the designation (ie, "FA", "FAJ", "D-FA", "DA", etc) in order to get auto-focus.

Have a look at my Pictorial Guide to Using Manual Lenses on the DPReview forum. It's written for the K100D Super, but the K200 is very similar. It'll tell you how to set the camera to use manual lenses and what you need to do to actually shoot with them. It's not as hard as it looks!
03-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
"Have a look at my Pictorial Guide to Using Manual Lenses on the DPReview forum. It's written for the K100D Super, but the K200 is very similar. It'll tell you how to set the camera to use manual lenses and what you need to do to actually shoot with them. It's not as hard as it looks!

GREAT tutorial!
Thanks Sean

-TomK-
New to K200D, not to Pentax
03-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #7

Andrea

I'm a novice, and have only owned a Pentax since last December (a K110D), but I have discovered the delights of using cheap old manual lenses. My favourite lens for the past month or so has been a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 - keep an eye out for one of them!

I operate my M lenses in manual mode, and set the aperture ring manually, but press the AE-L / Green button to adjust shutter speed (but often tweak that again in manual).

Focus is hit and miss, but the AF indicator does give you an indication in the viewer when you hit the target. You may need to press the shutter button down halfway to activate the focus indicator.

On my K110D all that I had to do was set the 'use aperture ring" in the custom settings menu, as my camera lacks image stabilisation.

I couldn't afford new AF lenses, so these old lenses are great for me. There is also a feeling of 'real photography' when you operate that focus ring

03-31-2009, 02:39 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I think I will purchase then...
04-01-2009, 02:40 AM   #9

For me the use of manual lenses opened up basics of photography better than the 18-55mm mkI kit lens. After that it's been a wonderful ride.
I have glasses and have some trouble focusing manual lenses, focus point indicator misses target almost every time, when trying to focus to someones face it says the focus is on but in picture wall behind the subject is focused. I've given up using the focus point and try to trust my bad eyes. I think I should get the katzeye split-screen or similar.

Andrea: If you happen to bump on those old M-50mm f1.4 or 1.7, I second Trojan Llama's opinion, get one of those. Absolutely great lenses for portraits and everyday walks. I was surprised how good the 50mm/1.4 is, 30+ years old and still in near perfect condition and it cost me around 10€.
04-01-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Horst-Helmut Quote
For me the use of manual lenses opened up basics of photography better than the 18-55mm mkI kit lens. After that it's been a wonderful ride.
I have glasses and have some trouble focusing manual lenses, focus point indicator misses target almost every time, when trying to focus to someones face it says the focus is on but in picture wall behind the subject is focused. I've given up using the focus point and try to trust my bad eyes. I think I should get the katzeye split-screen or similar.

Andrea: If you happen to bump on those old M-50mm f1.4 or 1.7, I second Trojan Llama's opinion, get one of those. Absolutely great lenses for portraits and everyday walks. I was surprised how good the 50mm/1.4 is, 30+ years old and still in near perfect condition and it cost me around 10€.
the focus point indicators (the red dots?) are of no use when using manual lenses. only pay attention to the green hexagon. in fact I would recommend turning those indicators off if you are using manual lenses. and you cant go wrong with a split-image focusing screen.
04-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #11

Do you prefer any of the split screens in specific? I know there has been a bit of discussion. I currently shoot with a K200D.

Jason

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the focus point indicators (the red dots?) are of no use when using manual lenses. only pay attention to the green hexagon. in fact I would recommend turning those indicators off if you are using manual lenses. and you cant go wrong with a split-image focusing screen.
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by alderfall Quote
Do you prefer any of the split screens in specific? I know there has been a bit of discussion. I currently shoot with a K200D.

Jason
well I currently use a katzeye in my K-m (just purchased) but everyone who has purchased one (I almost purchased one) of those chinese screens off of ebay have been more than satisfied with them. I have also heard good things about Haoda Home I can only comment on the Katzeye personally but from what I have read you really cant go wrong with any of these offerings. if you have the money however I would suggest a katzeye if for nothing more than piece of mind and a guarantee of quality that others cant or wont offer. plus katzeye are made for the individual customer and designed for each camera model.
04-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just purchased two of the "cheap" diagonal split-prism screens - one for the *ist DL and one for the K200D (after having read all of the pertinent threads). Have not received them yet, but will post impressions once installed.
04-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #14

Thanks guys, I will look forward to hearing about that.

Jason

well I currently use a katzeye in my K-m (just purchased) but everyone who has purchased one (I almost purchased one) of those chinese screens off of ebay have been more than satisfied with them. I have also heard good things about Haoda Home I can only comment on the Katzeye personally but from what I have read you really cant go wrong with any of these offerings. if you have the money however I would suggest a katzeye if for nothing more than piece of mind and a guarantee of quality that others cant or wont offer. plus katzeye are made for the individual customer and designed for each camera model.
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I just purchased two of the "cheap" diagonal split-prism screens - one for the *ist DL and one for the K200D (after having read all of the pertinent threads). Have not received them yet, but will post impressions once installed.
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #15

Yes and no. When that green hexagon lights up the middle focus point indicator also flashes briefly. I'm aware that only middle point is usable with manual lenses. Still my camera/lenses off-focuses most of the shots when trying to focus using the green hexagon.

I think I need to pimp up my camera with that split prism, I have an old Yashica at the moment for testing and focusing with it is piece of cake.