Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2009, 03:17 AM   #1

Advice on K20D purchase

Hi Folks
I am interested in buying a K20D and would be interested in your opinions. After much reading I am leaning towards a K20D due to its strengths such as quality build, IQ, lens price and compatability compared to other brands for the price. I used to have a pentax slr years ago and I am a keen and fast learner. My wife will use the camera as well and she is an avid photo taker who uses a sony compact digital but wants to upgrade to a dslr after using a friends Nikon D80. My main concern is that my wife is not as studious as I am when it comes to reading manuals and learning about technical matters. Will she be frustrated with the K20 or will it be fine for her to leave it in the green mode and shoot away with the chance that she may want to increase her knowledge of the camera and photographic technique later.
Thanks for your input

03-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K20D is a terrific camera and a great value at the current US price (<$700.) I'm afraid I don't have any green mode experience though. If my wife expressed the slightest interest, I'd probably advise her to use AV with a default of f11 & Auto ISO (100-1600) with a brief instruction on adjusting aperture to control DOF.
03-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I think she will be fine. She is already familiar with digital cameras the half press of the shutter to lock fous. Show her how to set exposure and perhaps some of the metering options.

I have let others less expereinced people use my K10D when on holidays - I set it on green and set them loose. They came back with some pretty decent shots.

If she wants to learn more after seeing some of your shots (as mentioned DOF control , etc) go from there.
03-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

From the Nikons I've handled, the K20 has a more intuitive control layout. I believe the NIkon has faster autofocus, the Pentax has better lenses.
Choose your compromise wisely.

03-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Drop it into "P" mode and set the front/rear dials for aperture/shutter controls; show her how to use the +/- EV compensation and you're pretty much ready to roll.

All the other bits and pieces (white balance, etc) can come later.
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be sure to tell her the on-camera flash won't pop up automatically...

Seriously, if she is an avid photo-taker and not one to read manuals, she might already know enough to play quite happily with it. The suggestion about "P" mode and +/- EV compensation (above) is great advice; the K20 really shines when you "control" the exposure to some degree. (Be sure to set it so the EV comp isn't stored in memory from mode to mode or on/off - I think this is the default, though.)
04-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
My main concern is that my wife is not as studious as I am when it comes to reading manuals and learning about technical matters. Will she be frustrated with the K20 or will it be fine for her to leave it in the green mode and shoot away with the chance that she may want to increase her knowledge of the camera and photographic technique later

I would not be concerned at all--if she gets frustrated, all the more time for you to use the K20. More seriously though, the K20, IMHO, is for those who love to learn. But there is no reason your wife can't learn from you--right? This is why we get married; two become one, absorbing each others weaknesses and strengthening each other in the process.

Buying the K20 is one of the best purchases of my life!
04-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #8

I bought a K20D last week and am ecstatically happy with it. I don't know much about green mode but from what I've read it's pretty much aimed at your wife.

Just get one

04-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #9

I have used both K10D and K20D, i can tell you that the K20D is a great DSLR, The major drawback is the autofocus, but it's not as bad as it sounds. It's a little slow compare to others. At low light, it will hunt for focus. another little issue is the auto WB is a bit off at different lighting, so i just choose it manual WB. There are a lot of pros, Cheaper price on body and lens, able to use all the old lenses,sealed body, great battery life. BEING DIFFERENT and etc.. So, it's great for a regular user with a budget. Since it's not a cheap investment, try it and compare it at your local store. Also the K20D might be alittle heavy for a lady, try the new K-M, its much smaller, some people said it has faster focus as well.

Last edited by winglik; 04-02-2009 at 08:42 AM.
04-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Go for it!
I would...
04-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have a Pentax film SLR, as well as a K20D, and I think with your experience you'd be comfortable with the K20D. It offers a User mode that allows you to customize settings to the max and save them (be sure to save them! otherwise it reverts.) So you can play with User mode, and your wife can use either Green or User.
My 90lb. daughter has used my K20D in Green mode successfully, but it's probably too heavy for her to hold for very long.
The speed of the autofocus varies with the lens: It's fast (but still noisy) with the DA 16-45, and slow with the DA 55-300. But both are QuickShift lenses (as is the 18-55 kit lens), so you can easily prefocus manually and override the autofocus if you like. And by default you can override the auto exposure with the front and/or rear dials on the fly.
I did a lot of research before buying the K20D, and I'm very happy with it. It works fine on full auto (Green) but the possibilities for fine tuning are quite extensive. It's a great value for the money too.
04-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #12

100% go with the K20

Buy the K20......I debated for over a month and I am so glad I got it. For the most part, the K20 can be used in green mode without real worry. Every picture will not be perfect, but she will quickly learn to take several and will like the ability to do that rather easily compared to the point and shoot. The only real adjustment I would recomend you teach her a little about is to adjust the White Balance to the appropriate setting instead of leaving it in auto WB mode (for me indoors shots come out great in "Tungsten Light" mode) and for me that tends to work out some other "exposure" problems for novices like me. On the K20 all this can be done while in Green mode by simply hitting the function button, left clicking, then picking the choice that best suits the situation. From there she might start learning the other modes as previously suggested but not unless she want to. I am 100% pleased with my decesion to go with the K20 verses some of Pentax's other models or a more entry level model from another maker.