Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Prash,

I did loads of research on all DSLR's in the this price range and nothing can touch the K20D for the cost. 14.6Mp, vibration reduction in camera (that will save huge amounts of money in lenses), backward compatibility with all Pentax lenses using very inexpensive adapters and an awesome CMOS sensor. I am very frugal and the K20D was the only choice for the money.

Iam a novice but after all the research, nothing can touch the K20D for the money.

04-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it really depends on your tastes, I hate to be cliche but its true.

Is it the best walkaround camera? No, its a little large and the d40/d60 would probably be a better travel camera. Same can be said about the K-m.

Is it the best low ISO camera? No.

Is it the best All terrain camera? Proabably not. how can you measure that?

Does it have the best auto focus system? No. The d300/d700 is still amazing.

Is it the best nature camera? No. That would be a pentax 67 or 645nii.

Is it the best sports camera? Heavens no. I'd probably go with a canon 1d mark whatever they're up to now.

Is it the best astrophotography camera? No. Thats the hubble telescope.

Will it do all of those things I mentioned to an acceptable degree for the average photographer and allow new photographers to grow into old photographers for the low low price of 700 bucks on amazon? Yes.

The pentax limited lenses are amazing. People who try to dissuade you from pentax often say "you're not just buying a camera, you're buying a system" as if thats a negative. Can I get the same items I'd get in a canon or nikon system for way less money? Yes. The system is precisely why I chose pentax over nikon. I am able to take pictures now that I wasn't before because of the accessories and little items I was able to afford because the camera cost less and the accessories cost less.

Believe me a nice polarizing filter will make a hell of a lot more difference for most photographers than AF speed.

For someone like me who wanted to get a nice dslr that could do most things reasonably well and had a limited amount of money to spend, the pentax k20d just works for me.

ps. Yes, its the greatest camera ever made. It took all the pictures that are now painted on the sistine chapel. Book it.