Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2009, 05:54 AM   #31

Original Poster
yeah it MF really sucks for D40-D60 its hard to even focus manualy with D40. Pantex is way better at backwards capability in that respect.

Im not so woried about fps though right now I mostly do senic pictures, would love to getinto wild life pictures. I like going into bad weather like blizerds and rain storms. I cant aford nikon glass thats desent quality, and theres not many primes either I can use for my D40.

04-04-2009, 06:08 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you will be disappointed with Pentax. I'm using a K10D and I do most of my shooting outdoors, skiing, hiking, kayaking, and my kids sports. It's held up so far through rain, snow and water splash in boats just fine. The in camera shake reduction works great and works with all the old lenses. I don't have any issues with AF either.
04-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't think you will be disappointed with Pentax. I'm using a K10D and I do most of my shooting outdoors, skiing, hiking, kayaking, and my kids sports. It's held up so far through rain, snow and water splash in boats just fine. The in camera shake reduction works great and works with all the old lenses. I don't have any issues with AF either.
thanks good to here its that durable
04-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
I did a huge amount of research when I bought my camera. I've had Canon, Minolta etc.

What put me over the edge for Pentax was the lenses. Pentax has always had the best glass. Another thing is backward compatibility. With the Pentax cameras, we have complete compatibility with any lens Pentax has ever made (I believe 25 million is the current count). In addition, the current Pentax cameras have in body shake reduction. This reduces lens cost. Hmmm better glass, less cost. NiCanon lenses cost more because their lenses have intrinsic SR.

I have no issues with AF so far (over 6000 exposures).

Just my opinion and if you are not concerned with FPS, as the best Pentax has to offer is 3 fps then the K20D is the way to go. No Dis on Nicanon, if you can afford the glass.

Most of all, have fun!

That's pretty much my story, too. I know now that I will never switch again - worst case, I may shoot with Pentax AND something else - but I still have faith in Pentax, so that day may never come. You'll have to pry the glass out of my cold, dead hands... :ugh:

04-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
slow shutter speed
As others have said, you'll have to explain further, as we have no idea what you mean by this. Are you implying you've tested the shutter speed and found that, say, at 1/60" it actually stays open longer than 1/60"? Or maybe that the metering is such that it is choosing a slower shutter speed than you'd prefer at a given aperture and ISO? Or maybe as other posters guessed, you mean the fact that 1/4000" is the maximum, the fact that the maximum number of frames per second you can take is 3? Or perhaps your problem is simply that you don't have a lens "fast" enough (in terms of maximum aperture) to get the kind o shutter speed you are looking for, or you haven't figured out how to control the aperture and ISO settings to maximize the shutter speed?

As it is, simply saying "slow shutter speed" doesn't really make sense.
04-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
As others have said, you'll have to explain further, as we have no idea what you mean by this. Are you implying you've tested the shutter speed and found that, say, at 1/60" it actually stays open longer than 1/60"? Or maybe that the metering is such that it is choosing a slower shutter speed than you'd prefer at a given aperture and ISO? Or maybe as other posters guessed, you mean the fact that 1/4000" is the maximum, the fact that the maximum number of frames per second you can take is 3? Or perhaps your problem is simply that you don't have a lens "fast" enough (in terms of maximum aperture) to get the kind o shutter speed you are looking for, or you haven't figured out how to control the aperture and ISO settings to maximize the shutter speed?

As it is, simply saying "slow shutter speed" doesn't really make sense.
Um I ment FPS thats all really thats what I ment
04-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Um I ment FPS thats all really thats what I ment
While frame rates are something I tend to beak off about, I don't see a need for the crazy fast framerates of the big guns from canikon. 5 FPS would be about the best compromise, 7 would be nice, and anything faster really isn't going to help your % of keepers go up.
04-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
While frame rates are something I tend to beak off about, I don't see a need for the crazy fast framerates of the big guns from canikon. 5 FPS would be about the best compromise, 7 would be nice, and anything faster really isn't going to help your % of keepers go up.
yeah hafe the time in machine gun mode you get the same pics 5 times over

04-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #39
Pentaxian

yeah hafe the time in machine gun mode you get the same pics 5 times over
The fastest drive I've used was a 9fps drive on a Nikon F2s. Even at that speed, I found that if I depended on framerate, I was always getting pictures that were shot either a bit before or a bit after what I really wanted.
It taught me that the best exposure was the one where I pushed the button at the right time and took one picture.
The K20d will shoot at something like 22fps, but at 1.5mp or somesuch.
04-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
Come man. We almost convinced him...
I was reluctant in the beginning regarding K200d. Now I'm a happy camper.
-Nobody mentioned the Green Button. This will give you the ease of use with the old lenses (which, by the way I don't take off anymore).
-The build quality? not important?
-The steel inside instead el cheapo plastico? My camera with grip and one old lens is near 2 kg! People are stunned. Hell, I'm stunned.
-This community?

More than one reason. welcome!

Amen brother!
04-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yeah, the gods of good pictures have blessed you with wisdom............