Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #1

Looking at changing from Nikon to pentax

I currently have a Nikon D40 with only the kit lens so Im not that well invested in the system. Have been looking at changing from Nikon to Pentax. Pentax is more in my price range for lenses than any good name brand Nikon glass. Also I love primes and Pentax has lots more than Nikon, and the pancake lenses look really attractive. I do a lot of outdoor photography with hiking and bike touring in mind. Weather proofing is a huge issue. I am well aware of the issues with auto focus problems.

04-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Sounds like you are set to jump! The new DA primes should be very well suited to your interest (though not weather sealed). I am new to shooting primes myself and am having a great time.
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah I have a few primes from old canon film manual focus cameras that were passed down. Itsa a shame I cant use them anymore.
I think for weather proofing DA* zooms
04-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. I have found that many of my questions were readily answered by those here. Post away and again welcome!

04-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome, ecoronin! There are many of us on here that have switched from Nikon to Pentax. Glad to see you've done some research first.
04-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
I currently have a Nikon D40 with only the kit lens so Im not that well invested in the system. Have been looking at changing from Nikon to Pentax. Pentax is more in my price range for lenses than any good name brand Nikon glass. Also I love primes and Pentax has lots more than Nikon, and the pancake lenses look really attractive. I do a lot of outdoor photography with hiking and bike touring in mind. Weather proofing is a huge issue. I am well aware of the issues with auto focus problems.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

The DA limiteds on a K20D will give you years of brilliant images, and are great, small lenses to carry backpacking.

The DA* 16-50 2.8 & DA* 50-135 2.8 are weather sealed, and among the best zooms money can buy from any manufacturer.

The Super Takumar, K, M, and A manual focus lenses can be bought relatively cheaply, and some of them are simply exceptional.

I have a Nikon system also (D90 + some lenses,) and really, my K20D system is superior in almost every way besides AF-lock speed, and maybe flash (but I don't use flash.)

I think you're heading in the right direction, be sure to post specific lens questions you may have in the lens section and body questions in the DSLR section of the forum.

04-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks alot for your advice I will keep it all in mind

04-03-2009, 03:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

... I Also I love primes and Pentax has lots more than Nikon, and the pancake lenses look really attractive...
You are right, Pentax has one of the largest prime collection and the price is also less expensive compared to most of the other brands.
04-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that Pentax is the only system that really gives you fast, reasonably priced, image stabilized primes. The other day I was taking pics in a low light setting with my FA 50 and they seemed to be blurry. That's when I realized that I had inadvertently switched the SR off on my K10. Once I switched it back on, the photos were back to normal. I guess older photographers would call it a crutch, but it sure comes in handy in the right situation.
04-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll take a performance hit with Pentax. Frame rates aren't as good, AF is slower, etc.
What you gain is the ability to use Pentax glass, which to me is worth the losss of camera performance.
If you are going to use third party glass, there really isn't much reason to use Pentax bodies, in camer shake reduction is the only advantage Pentax bodies have over the competition, weather proofing may or may not be that big a deal. I believe Olympus is the only other camera maker (the Samsungs are Pentax ugly siblings) to use in body SR.
04-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

depends on what you want to do. for portraits and general usage, pentax is pretty fine but its pretty weak in accessories and options if you are looking for something for long distance or high speed. You also need to tweak the pentax camera settings + pentax awb algorithm is not really that smart at least imho.

a measly 3fps may not be up to your liking if you go K20D.
04-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Come man. We almost convinced him...
I was reluctant in the beginning regarding K200d. Now I'm a happy camper.
-Nobody mentioned the Green Button. This will give you the ease of use with the old lenses (which, by the way I don't take off anymore).
-The build quality? not important?
-The steel inside instead el cheapo plastico? My camera with grip and one old lens is near 2 kg! People are stunned. Hell, I'm stunned.
-This community?

More than one reason. welcome!
04-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote

-Nobody mentioned the Green Button. This will give you the ease of use with the old lenses (which, by the way I don't take off anymore).
Feh. If they hadn't cheaped out on the lens mount by removing the aperture cam follower we wouldn't have to talk about the green button kludge.
When the original istD came out, it effectively wouldn't allow the use of non A series lenses.
If you wanted to use a pre A lens, you were stuck with no metering and shooting at wide open aperture.
It was only a huge uprising of bitching and moaning from the userbase, especially on the PDML that got us the green button kludge in the first place, and this on a $2K camera.
Don't wax eloquent about the GBK, Pentax only gave it to us grudgingly, and we shouldn't have to be metering with non A lenses in this fashion.
04-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #14

Original Poster
Im kind of hoping its an investment in glass and that the bodies will come in the future to fix some of the problems with AF and shutter speed
04-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Im kind of hoping its an investment in glass and that the bodies will come in the future to fix some of the problems with AF and shutter speed
My thoughts exactly. I have a K100D Super (a pretty special camera IMHO) and have held off any desires to upgrade my body to a K10, K20 or K200. I can probably keep my existing rig for another generation of bodies or two before I think upgrading would be worthwhile. By then all the new gadgets and widgets in the new body will be icing on the cake.