Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma APO DG 70-300 Lens on old fully manual vivitar camera

My apologies for asking a question that does not involve the pentax brand. I received a defective K20D and am awaiting replacement (due in 2 weeks - Looks like I may not have a pentax camera for Pentaxium - feeling bummed about it).

Meanwhile the sigma DG APO 70-300 that I ordered for my K20D is arriving tomorrow. I was wondering if I can use this on the fully manual vivitar v3000 film SLR camera that I have.

04-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You can mount the Sigma lens on to the Vivitar camera body. But that's about it.

The Sigma does not have an aperture ring. This means the photo will be taken at smallest aperture (likely F/22 - F/32).

Is the lens "digital only"? If yes, it means the lens is designed for APS-C digital sensor, smaller than the film "full-frame." Severe vigneting is unavoidable.

It doesn't hurt to try. But I think you will be disappointed.
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your response. You are right, I think the shots arent going to be pretty. I will control my impulse to try out the new lens and wait for the K20D to arrive.
04-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Thank you for your response. You are right, I think the shots arent going to be pretty. I will control my impulse to try out the new lens and wait for the K20D to arrive.
Sorry to hear you'll miss the "big day" this year. Boy, I know it would bother me. Is there no way to borrow any kind of Pentax body from a friend perhaps?

Jason

04-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Sorry to hear you'll miss the "big day" this year. Boy, I know it would bother me. Is there no way to borrow any kind of Pentax body from a friend perhaps?
Thank you alderfall for your response. I have a pentax lens, but cant get a body in time for pentaxium.

On the positive side I was able to use the sigma with my vivitar body as it did have an aperture ring! Sure the vignetting issue may be present - will develop the film and see how that turns out.
04-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to reply that my 70-300 has the aperure ring but your lens came and you found that out. Hope your K20D gets back soon.
04-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My Sigma 70-300 APO has an aperture ring aswell. It should not vignet, as it is made for film cameras initially (DG signature).
Sigma lenses that may vignet or have otherwise reduced quality on film body have the DC signature. For me it is easy to remember as Digitally Cripled, i read that once in some web page and since then it is stucked in my mind (ahh.. it was Rockwell's page: Sigma 30mm f/1.4).
Btw, i've used my Sigma on quite manual Chinon CE-4.
04-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
On the positive side I was able to use the sigma with my vivitar body as it did have an aperture ring! Sure the vignetting issue may be present - will develop the film and see how that turns out.
My bad. I mistook it with another lens that does not have an aperture ring.

It's for the better. I prefer lenses with aperture ring.