Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #16

Already a lot of useful information posted here. Let me see if I can help you though.

I second Mike's opinion i.e buy a used Pentax 200T if you find one. Very soon you will learn that controlling the flash output manually is a great feature. So 200T, 500 FTZ are two good examples of hotshoe mount Pentax flashes. 500 FTZ is expensive than 200T. The Nikon SB series flashes mentioned here are excellent. Again expensive compared to 200T. Third party flashes are not bad. Lot of pros still use Vivitar 283 or 285. The new version is 285HV. Here is a useful Pentax link

Pentax Flashes and Flash Accessories

One thing you should consider when mounting a flash to your camera hotshoe is the trigger voltage. Here is another link on that

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Now if you want to compare PTTL capability, there is a very useful article written by Matt. He compared the current models. Read it. You will have enough knowledge about different flashes.

Finally, hopefully very soon you will be interested to learn more about the off camera flash arrangements. So more to come.

04-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
All I did was post what I thought, nothing more and very harmless.

The person who started the thread can take that opinion or leave it. If you guys who are experts don't concur then so be it. State your opinion to the question, move on, and don't worry about bashing everyone you don't agree with.

This thread is for beginners right? It would make sense that a beginner would read it and maybe have an opinion as well as all you Pro's out there. Give us newbies a break! We are, as far as I know, allowed to post here too.

If this is what Pentaxians are all about, I may sell all my equipment and get a polaroid.
The people who opposed your view own flash equipment from other manufactures, myself included. I have a Vivitar 285 and 285HV and both work well to suit my needs. I want to up grade to a dedicated flash and I did look to Pentax's top of the line 540 FTZ and read reviews on that flash from people who had purchased it from Amazon.com. I was not happy with the same negative review of the flash by half of the buyers. The biggest complaint was tht the locking pin would break and the flash would be stuck to the camera and the zoom motor would malfunction.

When giving takes on equipment, experience or better yet owning it will give for a more acurate take.

They weren't bashing you; they simply stated thier equipment from third parties works just fine.

Please continue to post here.

I have had my share of people not agreeing with me also. Look at my post in the DSLR discussions Sick of AF complaints on page 8 and the response below and you will see what I mean. If you have time, read the entire thread. There were a lot of disagreements, some of which could be interpeted as bashing. But I gained knowledge and insight and I did not take the negativity to heart. There are a lot of us, myself included, who are here to help.

WE ARE ALL PEOPLE.

Last edited by res3567; 04-12-2009 at 01:12 PM.