Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

cheap flash for pentax k-m/k2000

Hi evrybody!
Finally after weeks of debates, I've ordered K2000/k-m double kit, however this kit doesn't come with flash, like the other kit which includes Pentax Flash and one lens.
Now, I would like to get some info about cheap flash which will be compatible with k-m/k2000?

Please help me choosing the right one!

Currently on amazon I found this:

Amazon.com: Precision Design DSLR300 Universal High Power Auto Flash with Zoom/Bounce/Swivel Head for Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

Amazon.com: Sunpak 266D TTL Flash Dedicated to Pentax and Olympus Cameras: Electronics

04-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash

In my experience, stay with the manufacturer of the camera. When you go with third party, you get third class results. Another thing is that like cameras, you get what you pay for.
04-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are after decent flash and don't want to splash out a lot of hard earned cash have a look at older flashes from Pentax with auto setting. they can be had for cheap and work like a charm.
good example is AF280T.

BR
04-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #4

I bought mine used from BH Photo video, the model number is in my sig, I paid $39 if I remember correctly, it IS a P-ttl flash unlike others cheap ones on ebay and gives me consistent results, (except in bounce mode), but way worth the money I spent......

04-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The AF280T is not a good example, no matter what our dear friend axl may say.

It is an excellent example.....I paid about $32 for mine.

Some sample photos done using the AF280T (some in conjunction with a second flash....the $10~20 AF200T).
04-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #6

If you're not worried about TTL, or P-TTL you can also look at Nikon flashes. I just picked up a used SB-28 ... has tilt, swivel, great adjustability with regard to power output, works great.

The rave reviews from the strobist community have bumped up the price of the nikon speedlights ... but if you're patient enough you can find good deals.
04-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
In my experience, stay with the manufacturer of the camera. When you go with third party, you get third class results. Another thing is that like cameras, you get what you pay for.
I suspect you bought your third party flashes because of the price point, not the capabilities.
Most people would consider Metz to be superior to Pentax when it comes to flashes because that's what they do for a living, make flashes.
04-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In my experience, that is horsefeathers.

I sold my worthless piece-of-crap $200 P-TTL Sigma flash and am as happy as a bug in a rug using a pair of AF200T ($10 and $20), a National PE-3057 ($10) and an AF280T ($32).

04-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Are you serious?

I challenge you to tell the difference between photos taken with my Pentax AF540FGZ and those taken with my Vivitar 283 or those taken with my Nikon SB-25.

To the current batch of Pentax DSLRs, a Vivitar 283 is much more useful than a Pentax AF5000FTZ.

It all depends on what you need. I don't trust P-TTL (it's easy to be fooled). When I don't have the need for high-speed and/or wireless, the Nikon SB-25 is just as good as the Pentax AF540FGZ.

In fact, IMHO, the Pentax AF-200FG with no Auto mode (it does P-TTL/TTL and M only) is not as useful as the lowly Vivitar 283 (or any other flash with an on-board light sensor).

Note that without an on-board light sensor, a flash can operate only in manual mode when you use a manual lens.
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Sigma EF-500/530 DG SUPER are well-featured P-TTL flashes for a decent price. But make sure you get the "SUPER", not the "ST" version. The latter lack wireless slave capabilities, high-speed sync and a few other useful bells & whistles.
04-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Are you serious?

I challenge you to tell the difference between photos taken with my Pentax AF540FGZ and those taken with my Vivitar 283 or those taken with my Nikon SB-25.
I second that. I have a rag-tag collection of flashes, and they all work just fine. SB-24, SB-600, 200T, Vivitar 283 & 285, and a Starblitz something-or-other. I don't use TTL or P-TTL though, just M or Auto.
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Relax.....

All I did was post what I thought, nothing more and very harmless.

The person who started the thread can take that opinion or leave it. If you guys who are experts don't concur then so be it. State your opinion to the question, move on, and don't worry about bashing everyone you don't agree with.

This thread is for beginners right? It would make sense that a beginner would read it and maybe have an opinion as well as all you Pro's out there. Give us newbies a break! We are, as far as I know, allowed to post here too.

If this is what Pentaxians are all about, I may sell all my equipment and get a polaroid.
04-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

All I did was post what I thought, nothing more and very harmless.

The person who started the thread can take that opinion or leave it. If you guys who are experts don't concur then so be it. State your opinion to the question, move on, and don't worry about bashing everyone you don't agree with.

This thread is for beginners right? It would make sense that a beginner would read it and maybe have an opinion as well as all you Pro's out there. Give us newbies a break! We are, as far as I know, allowed to post here too.

If this is what Pentaxians are all about, I may sell all my equipment and get a polaroid.
I'm sorry if you feel bashed, but this seems a little overreactive to me. "Horesefeathers" = "bashing"? Come on. It's just a discussion. Thicken your skin a little and join the rest of us. We're glad to have you here.
04-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, I was just surprised to have my opinion critiqued in the novice Q&A section. Not all of us are pro's.

Thick skin....... 20 years in the military taught me to be hard core, but also to respect every idea whether ludicrous or not.

In any case I appreciate your welcome and look forward to learning more as I read the posts from the pros/experts.

Thanks! I will continue to post, get critiqued, and learn!!!!
04-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The AF280T is not a good example, no matter what our dear friend axl may say.

It is an excellent example.....I paid about $32 for mine.

Some sample photos done using the AF280T (some in conjunction with a second flash....the $10~20 AF200T).
my apologies Mike,
I love that flash too. What I hate though is that you got yours for $32 and I had to fork out £55 for my. But I don't regret it. It's money well spent and that flash has never let me down. Instead it made me buy another smaller (auxiliary/party) flash AF160SA. I'd like to get something between those two...

BR