Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #1

SF1 Problem

Hello everybody,

I just discovered this forum and I have to say that it is full of very helpful resources. However, I searched through some posts and couldn't find an answer to this problem.

My mother bought a used Pentax SF1 last night. I put a new lithium battery in it for her, however the mirror is locked in the up position, and when I try to load film into it the motor just makes a whining noise and it will not catch the film. When I opened the back I saw that the sprockets would turn about an eighth of a turn, then return to the normal position. It would do this whenever I would push the shutter release, the exposure mode clear button, the exposure memory lock button or when i would load the film in and shut the back.

So do you think that there is just some sort of lock set, or do you think that the camera is broken? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

04-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really have no idea - but would suggest you take it into a shop for a quote. Most places will give you a quote on what it will cost to fix it for free (the quote is free ). Best of luck.
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an SF1 with the same problem. One day I'll do some exploratory surgery but I expect to end up with a pile of parts.
04-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I once bought an SF1 with the exact problem. I paid $20 for it.

I tried to fixed it but at the end, I had a pile of parts.

A nice thing is that there was an almost new SMC Pentax F-50 1:1.7 attached to the camera body

Back to stmann, try pulling the mirror down very gently. Something might have got stuck and pulling it down may free it. I "fixed" a ProgramPlus that way.

04-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like the felt has turned to glue. I have an ME that it has happened to. When the felt gets old, it gets sticky (glue) and catches the mirror when a picture is taken. You can buy replacement felt and try to replace it on your own, or you can find a camera repair/service to do the work for you, for a price.

Eric gets good reviews from forum members (http://www.pentaxs.com/) It's where i'll send mine to, just to make sure there's nothing ELSE wrong with it. I just need to wait for my tax rebate.

Last edited by chalion; 04-10-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Making my post make some sense
04-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #6

It is broke. I have two sf1n that work fine. I will be putting them up for sale. I don't expect to get more than $40 for each. I bought my sf1 when it first came out. The two sf1n's I picked up later on. The sf1n has a higher shuter speed. I now have a k20d and k100ds. I wish the new one's worked as well as my sf1n.