Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Church Photoshoot Suggestions?

Well This Saturday My Cousin Is Having His First Communion & Well Ima Be The Photographer.

My Pentax K20D & Me!
But I'm A Beginner I've Had This Camera For Only 2 Months..
Haven't Learn Much Since Then..
I'm Still Shooting On Auto..

Based Off My Equipment.. I only got the 18-55mm & The 50-200mm..

The First Communion Is At 7.. The church is ganna be a Bit dark.. There far I'm a Little Concerned about Lighting.. But I contacted my family & They said that the pastor is OK with flash So ima be using flash...

Any suggestions tho? Filters?
Should I shoot JPEG? RAW? Or RAW+

But to me it looks like RAW or RAW+ takes natural light from the pics...
So Idk..

Any Suggestions or help?
Also the Custom settings.. What do ya suggest?

04-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the lens you have, you will need the flash. Saying so, get extra and extra batteries for flash.
On the ohter hand you can bump up the iso but will get a lot of noise.

Best idea is to go there some days before at the same hour and make some shooting images to know what to aspect concerning light.

No need for filters except UV (I always use it with my lens )
Shoot raw so you can correct WB later or other "problems".

Good Luck
04-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No expert here. But if you are shooting in low light condition and have to use your zoom, you'll probably want to increase the ISO to 800 or 1600 or so as your flash may not reach. unless you are using a tripod of some sort.

Problems with low light shooting and the kit lens is if you don't have the flash light to help with faster shutter speeds you' may be getting more blurry shots than you expect.

I don't think you should use any filters for this type of setting unless you have a softener filter for portrait shots.

I'd say test your shots before the ceremony if you can inside the church to see how they come out and go from there.
04-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks..
Ima try & go to the church around 7 to see how the lighting will be with the church..
How about the Custom settings?

04-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Forum Member

Not sure what post processing program you use, but I would suggest raw, or at least raw + jpg. The reason I say this is that if you don't get the proper white balance or get the correct exposures, you may still be able to save the shot in raw which gives you a little more room for adjustments.

I don't know what tweaks are available for the K20D; would have to find a k20D owner for that information.

Just make sure that if you shoot in ISO 800 / 1600 that you are comfortable with the amount of noise that may show up. The noise may not be apparent on camera screen but when on the computer or print may be more than you expect.

Good luck!
04-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Get there a bit early and grab a spot in the front pew near the center isle. That should get you close enough to get decent flash coverage. You probably don't have time to pick one up, but a fast 50mm prime would do a better job than the kit lens. Maybe even a 135/2.8.
04-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Forum Member

@ orli

So how did it turn out?