Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

How to test brand new K20D, DA 35 macro, FA 77

Hi,
I am new to Pentax, and registered today. I bought the following gear brand new yesterday (from Downtown Camera, for those of you from Toronto) for I believe good prices. I have 10 days (and a long weekend now) to check the equipment out for defects. (Not that I expect any, but I'd like to test what is reasonable to test):

K20D, DA 35 2.8 macro, FA 77 1.8

Please offer any advice you have in what all and how to test the two lenses (visually they look perfect) and the body.

My experience: I have used various prime lenses on the old canon manual focus bodies (FTb, A1) for a lot of years and used digital point and shoots for a couple.

Thank you in advance,
Lubo

04-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, and *great choices in lenses!

First thing to test fro is Back Focus (BF) or Front Focus (FF). You can download and print a chart to do this, but you can also just start with photographing a ruler on a table. Set up your camera on a tripod or stable surface aimed at the ruler - the camera should be pointing at a 45-degree angle to the ruler. Take a shot wide-open, and note how many millimeters in front or behind the point of focus was from where you aimed. Then, do "AF adjust" in the menu for that lens until it's spot-on. All this should be explained in the manual also.
04-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you

Thank you, J
I will perform that test.

I like (of course) the fact that this camera allows you to callibrate it for each lens you own (unless LBA really took you far).

What else can I test ... to make sure there is no strong reason to ask for a replacement body or lens?
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Damn Brit

If I might intercede Jsherman999's excellent suggestion. Have fun and get familiar with the camera and lenses first.

Welcome to the forum and great choices in the lens department.

04-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you

Thank you, all.

All good suggestions. Yes, I didn't really need to worry so much about testing for defects... I've realized that this is the first time in many years of using cameras that I've bought a camera or lens new. At any rate, I've taken a bunch of pictures indoors and outdoors - the light has been terrific - and fell in love with my new camera and lenses. The feel and ease of use is great, and the quality of the images as expected: excellent.
04-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You need a flash? Check the marketplace