Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Hi res - the problem was solved for me when another member pointed out that the photo i loaded into Photome was not 100% original, so i shot 1 photo specifically to load into Photome without any PP.

Like magic, the manufacturers notes appeared and so did the shutter count

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software/58156-p...-whats-up.html
Ok, great!

Anymore questions, just ask.

We are here to help!

04-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, there's one.. can you export some Texas sunny weather to this dreary rock ?

Cheers
04-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Yep, there's one.. can you export some Texas sunny weather to this dreary rock ?

Cheers
We got flooded pretty bad here in Houston today. Remnded me of the hurricane last year.

I have pics of that posted in the Photo Gallery.

Post your pics there also.

Lets see what you got.
04-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never been flooded - must be pretty grim.

I've had photos in the gallery since the day i joined here

04-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I've never been flooded - must be pretty grim.

I've had photos in the gallery since the day i joined here
Hurricanes and heavy rain are nothing new to Houston. This doesn't happen every year, however.

I will check out your pics!
04-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Texas is irrelevant. Texas is mostly debris washed down from New Mexico, ie it's NM's droppings, just the litter in the bottom of the birdcage. But I digress.

PhotoMe ShutterCount is strange. I thought I bought the K20D new, but my first photo shows a count of 465. Maybe that's from factory QC testing? My latest photo is number 10103 but shows a count of 10707. Huh? Where did the other 139 clicks go? Did gremmies sneak in and boot the electrons?

Also, be aware that if you're looking at photos from a digicam you haven't controlled all its life, the EXIF may be a lie. I use PaintShopPro9 for PP. I find it very easy to fake EXIF data. For instance, I''ll load two pictures, A.JPG from a Sony PNS, and B.JPG from the K20D. In B's window I resize the canvas to match A, select all of B, and delete. In A's window I select all of A, copy to memory, jump to B's window, then paste in A. When I save B.JPG it's got the Sony picture, but the Pentax EXIF data, with the dimensions and creation date updated. Voila! Or A might have come from a Hi-8 frame grab, or a scan, or a Paint creation, or some pr0n I pulled off the web, whatever. Doesn't matter. It's officially Pentax now! Or, think of it as recombinant DNA.

Which leads to some speculation. That ShutterCount total is controlled by the K20D's firmware. Firmware gets updated. If it can be updated, it can be hacked. (I've been a codemonkey since 1979; I know this to be true.) Is there a black market in Pentax hackware we aren't aware of? If lowering the ShutterCount increases the value of a used cam, I'll have to assume that some greedy bastard somewhere is perpetrating vile deeds upon unsuspecting buyers. Caveat emptor.
04-30-2009, 02:50 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
PhotoMe ShutterCount is strange. I thought I bought the K20D new, but my first photo shows a count of 465. Maybe that's from factory QC testing?
That's common, and seems to be the most likely explanation.

QuoteQuote:
My latest photo is number 10103 but shows a count of 10707. Huh? Where did the other 139 clicks go?
Remember it's a shutter count, not a picture count. Using the digital preview increases it, for example.

QuoteQuote:
If lowering the ShutterCount increases the value of a used cam, I'll have to assume that some greedy bastard somewhere is perpetrating vile deeds upon unsuspecting buyers.
I suspect if that were common enough to be a risk to the average buyer, the technique would have trickled down to enough sellers that people here would have heard about it. It's not like the market for used Pentax gear is controlled by a few opaque auction houses or something.
04-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Texas is irrelevant. Texas is mostly debris washed down from New Mexico, ie it's NM's droppings, just the litter in the bottom of the birdcage. But I digress.

OK! A joke? OR, You trying to lure me out?

05-01-2009, 06:10 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
OK! A joke?
Nay, not a joke, but a grave matter of honor. One that can only be settled by a duel. With sharp optics.

Photographic proof of the victor is required.
05-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quension Quote
nay, not a joke, but a grave matter of honor. One that can only be settled by a duel. With sharp optics.

oh i am sho nuff ready!!
05-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I speak only the plainest geological truth. What is Texas made of? Alluvium. How did the alluvium get there? Carried by rivers. Where do those rivers originate? New Mexico (and a bit of Colorado). QED.

And photographically: which provides more interesting images, Texas or New Mexico? I suppose the answer depends on one's definition of 'interesting'. But I should stop now.
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I speak only the plainest geological truth. What is Texas made of? Alluvium. How did the alluvium get there? Carried by rivers. Where do those rivers originate? New Mexico (and a bit of Colorado). QED.

And photographically: which provides more interesting images, Texas or New Mexico? I suppose the answer depends on one's definition of 'interesting'. But I should stop now.
Is this thread about MY HOME STATE AND WHAT IT IS MADE OF? IS IT????
05-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Is this thread about MY HOME STATE AND WHAT IT IS MADE OF? IS IT????
Well, my home state (CALIF) is made of churned hot-and-cold glop. Hawai'i is just curds of hot glop. Et cetera. Funny how threads evolve, eh?

Q: How many Texans does it take to eat an armadillo?
A: One to do the munching, and two to hold the traffic.

Q: How many Californians does it take to screw-in a light bulb?
A: Californians don't screw in light bulbs; they screw in hot-tubs.

Uh oh. Better get back to shutter counts now.
05-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
Nay, not a joke, but a grave matter of honor. One that can only be settled by a duel. With sharp optics.

Ha! I like that!
05-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #45
Veteran Member

So you was joking. The "litter in the bottom of the birdcage" blast was not funny to me.

Ok I am done ranting.

Back to Pentax forums.