Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

File format of K20D

Hi everyone,

Still playing around with my new K20D, I have some questions about the file format. If I'm shooting in RAW, is there any significant difference between premium and best (image quality)? What's the difference between PEF and DNG format? I know one is from Pentax and the other is for general purpose, what else?

Any suggestions please? Thanks a lot!

04-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The quality setting only applies to shooting in JPEG mode.

PEF is Pentax' proprietary RAW format, DNG is Adobe's "standard". PEF are losslessly compressed and result in slightly smaller files. DNG allows programs like Lightroom to add meta data to the actual file whereas they must create "side car" files containing the meta data for PEFs.
There is much debate regarding DNG vs PEF - and if you look around at the other camera maker's forums DNG vs NEF for the Nikonians and DNG vs CRW for the Canonites, etc. As far as I'm concerned it's really up to you and what makes YOU happy on which to use.
04-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #3

To add to the detail and confusion, DNG supports lossless compression too, which tends to be even smaller than compressed PEF. The relevant point here though is that the camera won't compress DNG, so if you're trying to fit as many images on your card as possible, use PEF.

I know some people shoot PEF and then batch-convert to compressed DNG on the computer (using Adobe DNG Converter or similar), and use those files for the rest of their workflow. Others use one format all the way through simply because it's easiest for them. As Venturi hints, which format works best is going to generally depend on the software you use afterward.

You can always convert files from PEF to DNG later, so if you're not sure what you'll be using most yet, start with PEF.
04-10-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your quick replies!