Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Has anyone used a "quick" charger (1-hour type) with the Eneloops? Any problems? Is there a "recommended" charger for hybrids?

04-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Has anyone used a "quick" charger (1-hour type) with the Eneloops? Any problems?
Yes and no, respectively :-). "They" say it might shorten the life of the cells, but others say that's true only if used in certain careless ways. One thing I'm pretty careful about is making sure all cells being charged were ones that had previously been charged and used together, so they should in theory be depleted to about the same extent. Because I know my charger isn't smart enough to charge one cell at a time, and whether I end up overcharging the less depleted cells or undercharging the more depleted ones, that's not what I want. I don't know for sure that this is enough to guarantee I won't have problems, but given that I've been using the cells with no issues for a couple of years already, they could die on me tomorrow and I'd be OK with the $10 I spent on them.
04-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes and no, respectively :-). "They" say it might shorten the life of the cells, but others say that's true only if used in certain careless ways. One thing I'm pretty careful about is making sure all cells being charged were ones that had previously been charged and used together, so they should in theory be depleted to about the same extent. Because I know my charger isn't smart enough to charge one cell at a time, and whether I end up overcharging the less depleted cells or undercharging the more depleted ones, that's not what I want. I don't know for sure that this is enough to guarantee I won't have problems, but given that I've been using the cells with no issues for a couple of years already, they could die on me tomorrow and I'd be OK with the $10 I spent on them.
Thanks Marc. My habits are similar, though I've not tried the Eneloops yet. A couple of years is more than enough for me - eneloops on the way!
04-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
It's been pretty widely discussed that most of the Pentax DSLR's that take AA's have tight tolerances for voltage, and the K200D is no exception.
Make sure they're fairly new AA's and properly charged. A good charger with individual meters goes a long way to weeding out the ones that go bad.
That said, I keep rechargeables in the grip, and Lithiums in the body. I change the ones in the grip a lot, most often when the camera has been sitting for a week or so without use.
I don't think users should have to compensate for the shortcomings of the Pentax DSLRs with NiMh batteries (excluding Eneloops, of course). I am using Eneloops with the greatest satisfaction but is it so difficult to design a circuit where the tolerances accommodate 80% of the AA NiMh batteries manufactured today? I am disappointed in Pentax for not trying hard enough. It's not just economics, I feel: it could well be mistaken advice from the marketing department.

04-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just buy some Eneloops, and shoot away !!
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Has anyone used a "quick" charger (1-hour type) with the Eneloops? Any problems? Is there a "recommended" charger for hybrids?
I always charge overnight, because the faster the charge the harder it is on the batteries. I have two sets of Eneloops for each of my cameras and just swap sets when one dies, then charge the other set overnight. I've never been caught short on batteries.

You don't need a special charger, but a good charger is better than a bad one. "Good" chargers include the following features:

1) Has individual charging circuits for each battery (ie, will stop charging one battery when it's full while continuing to charge the others). You can usually tell these chargers because they have separate indicator lights for each battery.

2) Properly detects the fully-charged condition, rather than just using a timer. You can tell if a charger does this by putting a fully-charged battery into it - if the battery charges only a few minutes before the charger turns off then it's doing the right thing.

3) Doesn't charge super-aggressively. I'd never, ever buy a 15-minute charger (as mentioned above, my preference is for overnight charging).

If your charger does all that, then it's as good as it needs to be. A nice additional feature is an LCD display which shows you information like the amount of charge. And "intelligent" chargers with different charging modes are also very nice (ie, "charge", "discharge and report the battery's capacity", "discharge then charge", "keep discharging and recharging until the battery's capacity doesn't increase any more").
04-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maca Quote
I just got a new k200d a few weeks ago which came with a set of lithium batteries. Very good, lasted about 1100 shots but when they went flat and I swapped they with newly recharged alkaline batteries the camera was showing out of power after 5 shots. I was at Balmoral Castle at the time and missed some great pics cos the batteries wouldn't function in the k200d.

Any ideas as to what rechargeables I can use or will i have to keep using lithiums?

Other than that i absolutely love the k200d. Some of my canon friends wont admit it but are also rather envious of me, particularly cos the k200d is weatherproofed and i live in Scotland!
I donīt have my K200D (yet) but both compact digital cameras I have use AAs rather than LiIon batteries. I had some bad experience with "standard" NiMH, even if recently charged you can find they donīt provide much power, especially if itīs cold. I have much more confidence in the "hybrid" batteries which retain thier charge for longer, although unfortunately they have lower power ratings than the normal ones. But Iīd rather have reliable batteries & have to change / charge them a little more often. Eneloops are harder to find in the UK but other brands make the same thing. I have a set of Panasonics I got in Prague airport (& canīt find anywhere else) & a set of Sony ones that can be found at the address below. I recommend them for any camera that takes AAs.

Play.com (UK) : Sony Rechargeable 4 x AA 2000mAh Battery Cycle Energy Blue Blister Pack : Electronics - Free Delivery
04-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have much more confidence in the "hybrid" batteries which retain thier charge for longer, although unfortunately they have lower power ratings than the normal ones. But Iīd rather have reliable batteries & have to change / charge them a little more often.
Actually, you'll find that you *don't* have to change/charge them more often, despite their lower capacity. Think of the stated capacity of the cells as being how long they can work before they are completely drained. But Pentax cameras can't use the batteries until they they are completely drained - they can only use the batteries until their voltage dips below about 1.2V. And while hybrids might not be able to last as long until they are completely depleted when used in a device capable to completely depleting them, they will hold their voltage above 1.2V for longer. Meaning you actually do get more shots with hybrids than most higher capacity cells.

I find 500-600 shots about normal with Eneloops.

04-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Actually, you'll find that you *don't* have to change/charge them more often, despite their lower capacity. Think of the stated capacity of the cells as being how long they can work before they are completely drained. But Pentax cameras can't use the batteries until they they are completely drained - they can only use the batteries until their voltage dips below about 1.2V. And while hybrids might not be able to last as long until they are completely depleted when used in a device capable to completely depleting them, they will hold their voltage above 1.2V for longer. Meaning you actually do get more shots with hybrids than most higher capacity cells.

I find 500-600 shots about normal with Eneloops.

Thanks for the info Marc, I'm a bit more reassured now. I'm one of the people who dislikes proprietary batteries on principle & would rather go with AAs (even if it means more size & weight). Looking through these forums in the last few days some people have reported that the K200D may have trouble functioning well with rechargeable batteries which has given me some second thoughts. I was wondering if the extra battery grip would therefore be a worthwhile investement? If the rechargeables work ok then I don't see the point (other than maybe ergonomics) in a battery grip for a camera that takes AAs as thy are easily swapped out in seconds anyway.
04-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Regular rechargeables that are *not* the low-self-discharge type can be unreliable with Pentax cameras, sure. So don't get regular rechargeables - get the lsd types like Eneloops. Simple a that. Get the grip too if you like, but you certainly don't need it for reliable performance. Just get the right batteries.
04-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Regular rechargeables that are *not* the low-self-discharge type can be unreliable with Pentax cameras, sure. So don't get regular rechargeables - get the lsd types like Eneloops. Simple a that. Get the grip too if you like, but you certainly don't need it for reliable performance. Just get the right batteries.
I was skeptical about the advantages of hybrids....until I tried them. My K200D would work just fine with "normal" NiMH, as long as I used them within a day or two of freshly charging. Leave them in the camera for 3 days or more (rare for me), and no power. Now, with Eneloops, I'm on day 10 since charging - perhaps 20-30 shots/day - and the battery meter still shows full.

It's still reassuring to know that I can pop into any old store in an emergency to get generic AA batteries - but the Eneloops will make that a rare scenario indeed.
04-27-2009, 05:04 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I might look into the costs of Lithium batteries anyway just to see how (un)economical they are.
04-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I might look into the costs of Lithium batteries anyway just to see how (un)economical they are.
My experience is that they're about half the price of Hybrid NiMH cells (but of course, you only get to use them once...)
04-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Right - cheaper for a single set, but more expensive in the long run (I'd go through a dozen set a year, whereas one set of Eneloops has lasted me for a couple of years already). Also, and just plain wasteful and correspondingly more environmentally harmful.

BTW, I carry the lithiums that came with my camera as my spares. I very rarely need them, as I usually rememebr charge up my Eneloops before any major shoot, and I practically never shot more than 500 pictures in a day.