Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #1

k200d batteries

I just got a new k200d a few weeks ago which came with a set of lithium batteries. Very good, lasted about 1100 shots but when they went flat and I swapped they with newly recharged alkaline batteries the camera was showing out of power after 5 shots. I was at Balmoral Castle at the time and missed some great pics cos the batteries wouldn't function in the k200d.

Any ideas as to what rechargeables I can use or will i have to keep using lithiums?

Other than that i absolutely love the k200d. Some of my canon friends wont admit it but are also rather envious of me, particularly cos the k200d is weatherproofed and i live in Scotland!

04-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #2

"recharged alkaline batteries"
I doubt you can recharge them. Try using some NiMh rechargeables, preferably hybrid ones like the Sanyo Eneloop.
04-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oops

Sorry made a mistake. Should have said I tried recharged Ni-MH batteries but they only lasted 5 shots. Then I put in a set of duracel alkaline batteries when i got home.

The Ni-MH are Jessops 2500mAH 1.2v

I notice that the lithiums and alkalines are 1.5v. Could this be the problem? I thought all AA batteries are the same voltage!
04-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Lithiums

Go on Ebay and get them 1/2 price. Your alkalines might last 100 pics. I carry some Eneloops as spares. Personally I reckon the camera prefers 6 volts rather than 4.8 volts.

04-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's been pretty widely discussed that most of the Pentax DSLR's that take AA's have tight tolerances for voltage, and the K200D is no exception.

Make sure they're fairly new AA's and properly charged. A good charger with individual meters goes a long way to weeding out the ones that go bad.

That said, I keep rechargeables in the grip, and Lithiums in the body. I change the ones in the grip a lot, most often when the camera has been sitting for a week or so without use.
04-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Forum Member

I use the Eneloop for most of the case and for the most heavy duty I have tried, they can stay up to more than 1300 shots in two nites (500++ for the first time and 800++ for the second time) the Battery indicator is still full after that.

I keep 4 alkalines as reserve
04-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use Sanyo Eneloops all the time--no problems whatsoever. I think you can take at least 700 shots with one charge. They are about $12 on amazon.

04-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Either Eneloops or Imedion's 2100 mah Low Discharge Batteries and I get them at Thomas and they are the best prices.
Thomas Distributing
04-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #9

There's a thread here that helps explain why some batteries work and others don't.

As far as rechargeable batteries and chargers in general, the best information I've found so far is actually in product review comment threads on Amazon, if you have a couple hours to read them all. Start here and go through all the pages of comments, then repeat for NLee the Engineer's other charger or battery-related reviews.

If you don't have the time or inclination to sort through all that, just follow the specific recommendations of people here.

I'm personally using Eneloops with no complaints. I've had no-name alkalines fail to even turn the camera on. It's a bit picky.
04-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here's another enthusiastic vote for Eneloops or "hybrid" NiMH batteries from another manufacturer. Not only do they maintain a higher voltage under load, they also have a very long shelf life of well over a year. Do yourself a favour and pick up a set or two for your camera and all your problems will be solved.
04-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna get some eneloops and try them.

04-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #12

Original Poster
Great camera

Oh and to finish off this is why I love the k200d. This was a pic I took of my girlfriend at Stonehaven harbour. I had the camera in landscape mode and when I turned round i flicked the flash up for some fill in and fired one shot off.

I know it aint fine art but this pic is not photoshoped at all, this is the way the camera picked it up.Name:  stonehavenjax2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  55.5 KB
04-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
Go on Ebay and get them 1/2 price. Your alkalines might last 100 pics. I carry some Eneloops as spares. Personally I reckon the camera prefers 6 volts rather than 4.8 volts.
Are Eneloops better than the Energizer NiMH rechargeables?
04-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maca Quote
Oh and to finish off this is why I love the k200d. This was a pic I took of my girlfriend at Stonehaven harbour. I had the camera in landscape mode and when I turned round i flicked the flash up for some fill in and fired one shot off.

I know it aint fine art but this pic is not photoshoped at all, this is the way the camera picked it up.Attachment 32477
Good pic. We have a Photo critique, if you don't know, and you can have your pics reviewed on that forum, if you like.
04-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Are Eneloops better than the Energizer NiMH rechargeables?
Depends on what you mean by "better". The Energizers have a higher capacity rating (most seem to be rated at 2500mAH vs. only 2000mAH for the Eneloops), but I've heard a lot of negative posts about how they seem to degrade after a relatively few charging cycles.

The big advantage of the Eneloop and other "hybrid" NiMH batteries are their very long shelf life. Conventional NiMH batteries such as the Energizers loose up to 3% of their charge every day, but the hybrids keep as much as 80% or more of their charge even after a year. This means that despite their lower capacity rating you'll actually get more pictures out of the hybrids if it takes you more than a week or so to go through a set of batteries. It also means that the hybrids make excellent spare batteries because you never have to worry about "topping up" their charge if you don't get around to using them for a while.

Another advantage of hybrids is that they're able to maintain a higher voltage under full load. This means they're a lot more reliable in cameras that have a relatively high cut-off voltage (the point at which the camera turns itself off because it thinks the batteries are dead).