Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

whoa...is this lens flare?

I'm a new, happy owner of a k2000 and I just bought a manual focus Spiratone 20mm 2.8 lens.

Took some shots today and it's great, very sharp to my eyes, but I'm seeing what I think is lens flare.

I looked up examples of lens flare on the Internet, and all I see are starbursts, hexagons, or rings of light.

In this photo that I took, there's a huge shape right in the middle of the photo. I guess it looks like a distorted hexagon.

I wasn't expecting for the flare to take up the whole photo! All the examples I've found online are small and coming from the side. They look nice, actually, but the one I have is distracting.

Is it time to buy a lens hood? I searched the forums and I read something about being careful with vignetting when using lens hoods on wide angle lenses...what should I look for in a lens hood?

04-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

most definetly lens flare
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me, this looks as if you took it through a window, rather than veiling flare. Veiling flare (the general overall type, not the aperture shaped ones that echo across the image) would not be as well defined as this.
04-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
To me, this looks as if you took it through a window, rather than veiling flare. Veiling flare (the general overall type, not the aperture shaped ones that echo across the image) would not be as well defined as this.
Actually, it looks like he has both veiling flare and some nice point source flare as well.

04-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, it looks like he has both veiling flare and some nice point source flare as well.
Oh...I see what you mean. At first I thought that the hard-line parts were a reflection off a window. Now I see that they are the image of the aperture opening. Flare! Flare! Flare!

Steve
04-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Damn Brit

OP, were you using a lens hood?
04-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums

If that's the sun just to the bottom of the brightest hexagon, there's no hood that'll fix it!

Iowa Dave

04-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote

If that's the sun just to the bottom of the brightest hexagon, there's no hood that'll fix it!

Iowa Dave
I know Dave but it might minimalise it, my question was more rhetorical. If it's that bad with a hood,what would it be like without?
04-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the positive side, severe flare like this can generally be seen in the viewfinder and improved with even subtle composition changes. And as another poster noted, if the sun is visible in the image most lenses are capable of some flare.
04-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the pointis that, if the sun is in the frame, the hood is completely irrelevant, with or without it, there will be no diference.

OP: looks like that lens has a.. problem with flare , it might also be "helped" by some (cheap/dirty?) filter you have fitted to the lens. some lenses are just bad in such situations, sometimes you can use the lens just fine in any other conditions, so perhaps you will just have to live with it, and/or get a lens which performs better (the pentax kit lens is one example )
04-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #11

Original Poster
Nope, the sun wasn't in the frame, and there was no filter or lens hood in place, either. I will look for a lens hood. This is a 20mm f/2.8 lens that I'm using...is this the nature of the beast, or are there other brands/models that do better with lens flaring?
04-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greentea3 Quote
Nope, the sun wasn't in the frame, and there was no filter or lens hood in place, either. I will look for a lens hood. This is a 20mm f/2.8 lens that I'm using...is this the nature of the beast, or are there other brands/models that do better with lens flaring?
I think the sun is just outside the frame show at the tip of the blue arrow/edge of the building. The corner of the woman's purse and its shadow define the direction to the sun.

Iowa Dave
04-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by greentea3 Quote
It is partially the nature of the beast and partially a factor of the age and quality of the lens. When it was made, the Spiratone 20mm was somewhat of a novelty item and was sold at a price point considerably below that of other available ultra wide-angle lenses of the time. I would suspect that poor quality coatings are at fault here.

Steve

FWIW...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiratone
04-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If I can post one of my photos to demonstrate a "good" lens, notice the sun is entirely in the picture, then try to find some flare (there is some, but you really have to look for it). This is by the 18-250mm lens. There are even better lenses regarding flare. I stopped using the hood for this lens completely, it is simply not necessary.

larger
04-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #15

Original Poster
Oh well, it's a lesson learned. I'll see if a lens hood helps. It's a shame because the lens is beautiful and in exc. condition.