Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Uploading pictures from the camera (K200D)

Hi, Another N00B question sorry.

Is there a better way to upload pictures from my K200D?

The included software (Pentax Photo Browser) doesn't seem to be able to tell new from old pictures when uploading.

I get a lot of _Copy_of_ folders.

Also the directory order is all over the place. New directories above and in the middle of old directories and so on.

I've used both the camera and usb cable and a SD card reader. It seems to make no difference.

With my old Canon Powershot camera the software had an option to upload only new images and it also stored everything in folders arranged by date.

.-.-.

04-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well.. when I was using only PPL, after I was done transferring the pics from SD card to computer, I generally re-formatted the card in camera. Then there's no duplicate pics to transfer later.

Then I went to Elements 5, the organizer was smart enough to know which pics I already had copied/imported. Lightroom is the same way, it won't import suspected duplicates (if you don't want it to)
04-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I also delete picture reformat the card after uploading, so there's not normally any duplication. If I for some reaosn choose to leave pictures on my card, then the next time I upload, I simply select the files the new files before starting the transfer. Most transfer programs should give you a way to do this, doesn't the Pentax software? I've never used it - I use ACDSee Pro to organize and process my photos, and it gives me all the options I might want as for folder structure and so forth.
04-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just treat the camera as an external hard drive and use cut/paste the day's or week's photos to wherever I want on my pc, simple and no need to reformat the card.

05-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
OK. I've played with this a little more again and the main problem seems to be that every time you change cards or re format a card it resets to 100_DDMM format.

If there was a way to set the camera to continue incrementing the first 3 digits regardless it would solve the problem.

The pentax software should also be updated to have a `upload new only' images feature.

Even such simple pocket cameras such as the Canon powershot range can do this.

.-.-.

Last edited by vk4akp; 05-04-2009 at 04:13 PM.
05-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Damn Brit

It should be an option in one of the menus.
05-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Lightroom, and it moves the files to dated folders because I told it to. You might try that and see if it helps.
05-05-2009, 02:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i use rsync.

05-05-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you import your pictures ussing Picasa, it will exclude duplicates. You can then retrieve your pictures in any browser you want and sort/file them.
05-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My first digicam (2002) was a 1mpx Sony PNS, and I stuck its memory sticks into the stick reader on my first Sony Vaio laptop. That stick reader acted just like a disc drive. I wrote a simple BAT script that moved (not copied) all pictures into a hard-disc folder. Over time, we got several more PNS's of various makes, and the K20D, and a cheap USB multi-format stick reader which acts like several disc drives, and various external hard discs.

I've rewritten that BAT script many times, to move files from different cameras into different folders, and give them all unique names, especially when pic number 9999 rolls by. I would go absolutely NUTS if I had to deal with different software packages moving pictures from various cameras into obscure folders selected robotically. Instead, on my G: drive (2TB RAID I), is a directory tree: G:\cam above \cam\cam0 thru \cam\cam6 (and more to come, probably). I later move those pics, sorted by date, to a year\month\day directory tree, so all of each day's shots are together, but that's another subject.

Summary: If you really want to keep track of your pictures, MOVE them from your camera to a safe place OF YOUR OWN CHOOSING. I hate software that forces me to do its bidding. If anyone wants to see the script, I'll post it. It's boring.
05-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
From what I can see so far the Pentax K200D camera and software need two simple updated features.

- K200D needs a firmware update that will allow you to set the camera so the 3 digit prefix number that continues to increment even after inserting or formatting a different or new card.

- Pentax Photo Browser software needs and extra import option to only import new images.

Another simple fix would be to have the camera simply date stamp the folders with the full date including year for the directory names.

For example Pentax_060509 (Pentax_DDMMYY)

A partial fix for me I am thinking currently will be to have sub directories for each year and simply Switch to the Pentax_0605 (Pentax_DDMM) format and change folders every year.

Anyhow, pentax seem to listen to their users. Perhaps I can email them and hope for some updates? They are fairly simple programing additions.

.-.-.
05-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Another simple fix would be to have the camera simply date stamp the folders with the full date including year for the directory names.

For example Pentax_060509 (Pentax_DDMMYY)
This isn't possible due to the naming standard for digital camera filesystems.

Each file does have an actual timestamp though, and software could easily use that to determine which images are new.
05-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Frankly, I wouldn't hold your breath on this. The standards for folder and file naming have been around a long time; I can't see Pentax suddenly breaking from this. And the software that comes with the camera is so primitive in so many ways, I can't imagine Pentax issueng an update just for this relatively minor issue. There are *FAR* better image management programs out there that give you more fliexibility in downloading images, and I think the assumption is that anyone who cares enough about photography enough to buy a DSLR probably cares enough to buy a decent management program - or indeed, use one of the free ones that does a better job (eg, Picasa).
05-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I wrote a simple BAT script that moved (not copied) all pictures into a hard-disc folder.
I wrote mine using VBScript and Windows Script Host. I'm considering a rewrite in PowerShell because it's so much easier.

My script stores a "marker" file on the memory card whose purpose is to identify the date and time of the last upload. The script only uploads pictures that are newer than the marker file - this lets me leave pictures on the memory card as extra insurance until the main computer copies are backed up.

Knowing how to write and use scripts is an invaluable computer skill. Anyone who's moderately technically savvy should check it out.

(Full disclosure: I teach a scripting course so I'm just a *little* biased... )