Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #1

What's a good Lens Filter?

I Got my k20d and it's pretty intimidating.
When I opened it up and looked I thought I bought too much camera, because I was looking at the k200 but wanted the cmos, 14.6, and the all important cool factor.

Well after a few days of taking pics I think I have the hang of it, and want to see what a filter will do for me.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Bill

04-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #2

For outdoors, Polarizer! Not the cheap ones either!
A good quality Circular Polarizer (CPL) will do a lot for getting it right in-camera.

Next would be Nuetral Density Graduated filter.
04-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SF1n_max Quote
Well after a few days of taking pics I think I have the hang of it, and want to see what a filter will do for me.
Generally speaking, filters are problem-solvers. Have a specific problem, there might be a specific filter to solve it. The particular problems solved by many filters are these days more easily and effectively solved by post processing your files.

But anyhow, the starting point in any filter discussion should be, what problem are you currently having that you think a filter might solve - and that should lead to answer of what filter might solve it.
04-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. I'll look up those specs and lens types.

I was reading that a lens filter should be the first purchase for protecting the lenses as well as helping shots.

Bill

04-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Thanks for the tips. I'll look up those specs and lens types.

I was reading that a lens filter should be the first purchase for protecting the lenses as well as helping shots.

Bill
That's what lens hoods and caps are for Bill... and being careful of course.

Welcome to the forum.
04-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Forum Member

Some people use a clear glass or UV Haze filter as a lens protector. They are made to be left on all the time. They do nothing good for your images, and maybe a small bit of harm. Whether to use them at all is a subject of some debate. Personally, I use them because I'd rather have a scratched filter than a scratched lens. And I have the scratched filters to prove that I'm getting my money's worth. YMMV.

If you just want to "play with some filters", as I did when I got my first SLR, try a polarizer. Then go find some water with reflections on it, and/or some blue sky.
04-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Presumably in a sales brochure produced by filter salesmen...

As noted, use of filters as protection is fairly controversial. Some do it, some don't, and most feel religiously one way or the other. But I don't think anyone but a salesman would try to claim a UV filter is going to help your shots. The only question is how much they *hurt* - some say barely at all, and some say quite a bit.