Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
M42 lenses on a Pentax DSLR? Easiest thing in the world.

1. Set Av mode
2. Set the auto/manual switch on your lens to "M"

Confirm that the switch is in the correct position by looking through the viewfinder and turning the aperture ring. Does the brightness of the scene change? If so, good. If not, move the switch.

Now you're ready to take pictures. Set your aperture to f4 or larger (2.8 or 2 or 1.8 etc etc) to make focusing easier.

1. Focus
2. Adjust to desired shooting aperture
3. Press the shutter button

I've done around 20,000 shots with the K100D and K20D using M42 lenses. There's nothing complicated about it.
In doing this (shooting in AV), you are not using the AE/L button at all, correct? Is this because the lens stays open because of AV? I know you shoot the K20D (I have the K100D), and things might not be the same. If you shoot in M, you have to do the AE/L button step to stop down. Am I understanding this correctly?

04-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
In doing this (shooting in AV), you are not using the AE/L button at all, correct? Is this because the lens stays open because of AV? I know you shoot the K20D (I have the K100D), and things might not be the same. If you shoot in M, you have to do the AE/L button step to stop down. Am I understanding this correctly?
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
On the km/k2000, automatic stop down metering does not work on m42 mount (screwmount), or for any Pentax DSLR afaik. This is due to the fact that the body cannot communicate or control the lens.
DSLR + M42 = no automatic stop-down metering

The aperture on these lenses is manually set and moved from the lens itself; spin the aperture and you watch the blades move. The lens doesn't "stay open because of AV", it's at what ever it's been manually set to.

With Av mode you skip having to meter because the camera is adjusting the shutter speed in real time.
04-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The aperture on these lenses is manually set and moved from the lens itself; spin the aperture and you watch the blades move. The lens doesn't "stay open because of AV", it's at what ever it's been manually set to.

With Av mode you skip having to meter because the camera is adjusting the shutter speed in real time.

Thanks for the info.
04-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster

yep, the camera adjusts shutter speed in real time, but very often results come out under-exposed, so I am using EV +1.5 or 2.

04-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Av mode:

My Km was always 2 stops off in Av mode. However, Av mode works, but you'll either have to short the data pin (it's the pin at the bottom near the screw onthe body) or use Ev compensation to get correct metering. Once you've either shorted the pin or set Ev compensation you simply:

Adjust aperture
Shoot
QuoteOriginally posted by grishazzz Quote
yep, the camera adjusts shutter speed in real time, but very often results come out under-exposed, so I am using EV +1.5 or 2.
Yup, and that's why earlier in this thread I posted this:

Av mode:

My Km was always 2 stops off in Av mode. However, Av mode works, but you'll either have to short the data pin (it's the pin at the bottom near the screw onthe body) or use Ev compensation to get correct metering. Once you've either shorted the pin or set Ev compensation you simply:

Adjust aperture
Shoot

I forgot to add that there are different ways to short the pin. I personally just keep a piece of aluminum foil in my cleaning kit. When I need it I just slide it between the lens and the pin as I screw the lens on.