Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
anyone that tells you that "Any Pentax K-mount lens functions well on any Pentax digital SLR" is dead wrong.
If by that you mean "I can't use my Pentax DSLR just like a point & shoot anymore", then you're right. Some manual lenses actually require some knowledge of photographic basics.

04-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
anyone that tells you that "Any Pentax K-mount lens functions well on any Pentax digital SLR" is dead wrong.
There may indeed by *some* K-mount lenses that don't function well on *some* Pentax DSLR's when in the hands of *some* photographers, but I can tell you that all *my* K-mount lenses function well on all *my* DSLR's in *my* hands.

If your point is that some K-mount lenses don't function well period, well that may be, but presumably the OP knows his own lenses. Or perhaps you mean the fact that metering is a bit more awkward, especially when using small apertures on the K10D/K20D. True, but nothing I wouldn't expect someone who successfully used those lenses on film to hand. or maybe you mean the fact that the focus screen isn't as good. True again, but some of us manage just fine, and for the rest, there is always the Katzeye screen.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 04-15-2009 at 09:45 PM.
04-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

"Any Pentax K-mount lens will function on any Pentax digital SLR."
This is a totally true statement I can not argue with, but anyone that tells you that "Any Pentax K-mount lens functions well on any Pentax digital SLR" is dead wrong.
OK. What do you mean by that? What issues are you having? I sometimes have "green button" issues with mine, but I learned how to comensate manually.
04-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and offer advice.My general conclusion of all the comments leads me to feel confident in using the lenses.
After always using manual focus and exposure with my SLR's,plus a fair amount of time squinting through the viewfinders of some 'golden oldy'rangefinders,I'm pretty sure that I should be able to make them work.I shall have to start wading through the various DSLR models,although I have to say that my needs are only modest,no need for too many 'never to be used' menu options.
Cheers,
Brian

04-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have a question. Does anyone on this forum have one or more of the very early sub-M42 mount Asahi lenses (M37?) and, if yes, have you tried them on an original Pentax M37? to M42 adaptor inside of an M42 to K-mount adaptor? I nearly purchased an original Pentax "Leica 39mm to M42" adaptor once with the desire to load it and a nice old Leica screw-mount lens into my M42 to K-mount adaptor on my K200D. The "adaptor factor" would have been pretty high though so it might have been a challenge
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scotforthlad Quote
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and offer advice.My general conclusion of all the comments leads me to feel confident in using the lenses.
After always using manual focus and exposure with my SLR's,plus a fair amount of time squinting through the viewfinders of some 'golden oldy'rangefinders,I'm pretty sure that I should be able to make them work.I shall have to start wading through the various DSLR models,although I have to say that my needs are only modest,no need for too many 'never to be used' menu options.
Cheers,
Brian
May I suggest the K10D or K20D? They have pentaprism viewfinders, while the 3 digit models have Pentamirror viewfinders, which are darker.
04-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There may indeed by *some* K-mount lenses that don't function well on *some* Pentax DSLR's when in the hands of *some* photographers, but I can tell you that all *my* K-mount lenses function well on all *my* DSLR's in *my* hands.

If your point is that some K-mount lenses don't function well period, well that may be, but presumably the OP knows his own lenses. Or perhaps you mean the fact that metering is a bit more awkward, especially when using small apertures on the K10D/K20D. True, but nothing I wouldn't expect someone who successfully used those lenses on film to hand. or maybe you mean the fact that the focus screen isn't as good. True again, but some of us manage just fine, and for the rest, there is always the Katzeye screen.
How much for that screen and were? Do you recomend?

04-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
check ebay for cheap split prism focus screens, or the best is katz eye ($100+) but i think the china spec is good enough ($25)... and certainly better than the normal screen.
04-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
check ebay for cheap split prism focus screens, or the best is katz eye ($100+) but i think the china spec is good enough ($25)... and certainly better than the normal screen.
Which one do you have?

Your take?