Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 04:14 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The basic issue is definitely the white balance. You can try to fix this one of three ways. I personally shoot in RAW and then fix the white balance when I am "developing" my photos in Photoshop. This is probably the most specific and helpful in mixed lighting situations. If you are using JPEG, you can either manually set the white balance to what you think the light is (tungsten, cloudy, shade, etc) or, you can set it to Auto White Balance (AWB) in which case the camera tries to guess what the temperature of the light is and fix it. Any one of these ways works, although I have to say that my K10 often misjudges with regards to white balance.

04-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
What was your white balance settings when you took the photo of the black cat?
um...I guess Default woudl be the best answer for that, I've never really messed with the white balance.
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
It looks like you shot it in sunlight mode. The pic of the grey cat looks like it was taking by a window which is why it would look more natural. If the first pic was shoot under tungsten lighting and the WB was set at sunlight, it would produce a yellow picture.
I think I was using the Sunlight setting, but the light is from one of those low energy neon bulbs.
04-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Just shoot RAW and eyedropper that white wall and all will be well. Second one seems to have some mixed lighting in it, or is that a TV coloring it.. This would be a tad more difficult to white balance.
I just set my camera over to RAW and will start looking at PP software tonight. the light was all natural, but our house has several odd angled walls that defuse light in interesting ways, and 2 skylights over head for direct light, and the french doors with an awning over it to give indirect natural light.
The TV is facing away from the direction the picture was taken, but it is a 62" so it may still have been bright enough to affect the shot.
04-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Automan21k Quote
I just set my camera over to RAW and will start looking at PP software tonight. the light was all natural, but our house has several odd angled walls that defuse light in interesting ways, and 2 skylights over head for direct light, and the french doors with an awning over it to give indirect natural light.
The TV is facing away from the direction the picture was taken, but it is a 62" so it may still have been bright enough to affect the shot.
As a rule; when indoors with the lights on, I set the WB to the lightbulb icon. If there are flouresent lights, I adjust the "flourscnt" mode. There are three settings. Daylight colors, Daylight white, White light.

Outdoors is self explanitory; Sun icon, house icon for shade, cloud icon.

The lightning bolt if I use flash. Strobes are usually daylight balanced; the sun icon could also work for this as well.

I also use the manual adjust if I don't like what I see. This yields pretty good results under tricky lighting.

You could try the AWB, but I don't use it because I like having total control over my camera settings.

You can shoot in Raw and play with settings in PP except for manual which requires you to use the camera to get a reading off of a white wall or equivalant.

WB aint hard to master. You just gotta play with it. Sometimes it will not be perfect under tricky lighting. Just use whatever you can think of( changing camera angles, recomposing, etc.).

A tricky situation, for example, is shooting indoors in the daytime with windows open and lights on. That is when you may have to recompose and set the WB for a particular light source.

Last edited by res3567; 04-17-2009 at 08:44 PM.