Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recommendations for checking new camera for major issues

Hi everyone
The replacement to my defective K20D arrived last week! So far the new piece looks good. I have about 9 days left to check this camera and return it to store without penalty if there is something wrong with it. I was wondering if members here would have any recommendations for testing this piece for major errors/flaws that would warrant a return? I have already tried it out in different modes, used different lenses, tried several custom settings - so far so good....But I am paranoid after being burned with electronic purchases and hence this post.

04-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Why not go out and take pictures?
Seriously, since that's what it's designed to do, it's the best way to test the thing.
04-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for not being clear in my query. Yes, I took plenty of pictures (by interchanging lenses, setting different modes etc.) and the pics turn out fine. My question is - are there specific settings I need to use the camera in to shoot pics to test certain features (for eg. should the metering work in Av mode - I did not see the metering guide in other modes besides M).
Another thing I noticed was the battery meter sometimes shows half empty while shooting, but when it is connected to PC it shows full. Is that right?
04-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Sorry for not being clear in my query. Yes, I took plenty of pictures (by interchanging lenses, setting different modes etc.) and the pics turn out fine. My question is - are there specific settings I need to use the camera in to shoot pics to test certain features (for eg. should the metering work in Av mode - I did not see the metering guide in other modes besides M).
Another thing I noticed was the battery meter sometimes shows half empty while shooting, but when it is connected to PC it shows full. Is that right?
Fair enough. I think I'd pay most of my attention to the autofocus, make sure that the sensor seems reasonably aligned to the projected indicators, and check to see if the viewfinder and AF appear to correspond to each other. There are also some complaints with either sensor or viewfinder alignment, so it would be a good idea to make certain that the camera is capable of taking an in alignment picture (level the camera and make certain that something known to be level photographs that way).
I don't know if it is possible to do hot pixel tests any more. It seems to me that the camera masks them out automatically.
As far as testing the metering goes, I'd just take a bunch of pictures under varying conditions with varying meter patterns and check for consistency and predictability.
If your spot meter seems out, make sure you know how a spot meter works before being concerned.

Read the manual to find out what viewfinder indications there should be with the shooting mode in use. It will change from mode to mode.
The battery may need to be charged and discharged a few times before it is absolutely right, and should give you 700 or so pictures with minimal chimping.
Any chimping or flash use will cut down on the shots per battery, so if you seem to get less than stellar battery performance, look at your other habits before blaming the equipment.

I'd trust the camera's battery indicator before what is displayed via the PC connection, but I can't advise you more than that.

I do think that most of the time, a person is going to buy a camera that will be fully functional out of the box, but if you look for problems, you will find things that are not necessarily problems, but may be percieved as such.
In other words, if it seems to work, it probably does work.

04-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I do think that most of the time, a person is going to buy a camera that will be fully functional out of the box, but if you look for problems, you will find things that are not necessarily problems, but may be percieved as such.
In other words, if it seems to work, it probably does work.
Seconded, big time! I suspect there are far more cases of people fooling themselves (through flawed test methodology) into seeing problems they've read about than there are actual cases of the reported problems.
04-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for your input - I am having a blast with this beauty K20D. I find the A 50 F/2 far supeior to the kit 18-55 and sigma 70-300 APO DG. No wonder people keep buying primes. Didnt know that LBA sets in so fast!