Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #1

How to sell my work?

I've been keeping a library of my best work for a while with the intention of trying to sell some of my photography for a number of years, and a recent trip to Australia has given me a number of images that friends and family love - one in particular, a number of people have requested copies of.

I'm beyond the point where I feel I can give out my work for free, but I have no idea how to start selling. I don't really want to sell my work as stock images, rather create an online gallery for people to buy from.

The UK has a site called photoboxgallery.com, are there any other similar sites in the US or elsewhere? Anything with paypal payment?

Thanks.

04-20-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum Yosef.

First of all, if it was easy, this forum would be full of posts telling us how much people made today on this or that photo.
Unfortunately family and friends aren't usually the best critics. Unless they are competent photographers themselves, they tend to be too kind.
You need to first get some work printed to see how it looks in print and then you have to be really self critical. If people see pictures that aren't so good, they aren't likely to look for any good ones.
One of the best ways to get yourself some exposure is to print some of the best ones, get them matted nicely and then see if you can find a coffee shop or restaurant that would be interested in displaying them on their walls. It's good for them because they get their walls decorated. It's good for you because people will hear about your work by word of mouth.
Another way to go is to rent a booth at Arts and Crafts shows, there is an excellent article here; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/miscellaneous-articles/57601-setting-up-a...s-learned.html.
I don't think the Internet is the best place to try and make your name (and fortune) as a photographer, unless you are already well known.

Why don't you post a few pictures in the 'Post Your Photos' section here and ask for critique. The best way to improve is by getting advice from your photographic peers.
Just remember a bad critique is often more important to your growth as a photographer than good critique and we all learn from each other.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-20-2009 at 01:25 AM.
04-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yosef Quote

The UK has a site called photoboxgallery.com, are there any other similar sites in the US or elsewhere? Anything with paypal payment?

Thanks.
Zenfolio | hosting service for photo galleries | a place to learn and enjoy photography

Welcome and Cheers
04-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #4

If you would still be interested in getting an online gallery, Betterphoto.com has several options available. I have a deluxe website through betterphoto. You pay a yearly fee, and there are monthly contests. You can also take classes. Please visit their website for more info. Their pro site has a paypal option

04-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #5

I have to agree, that internet is not a good place to start the business. You see, it is crowded with sunsets, lions, flowers, etc. The only option is microstock, but it is not a very good one either. When you make your own webpage, you face the problem of how to drive traffic to it and attract customers. Starting locally is a much better idea. Visit some small galleries and restaurants to see, if they are interested. Another option might be to contact the publishers of nature photography calendars in your country to see, whether they might be interested in some photos.