Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with K-m

I used RAW on new camera today and they will not down load in Bridge? The dealer rang someone who said to insert my CD and down load the programme, but on inspection that is a Pentax browser and I want to use the Bridge programme. The jpgs I took on the same card did download. (in pictures) The card I am using is a silicon power 80x 2gb (thrown in by dealer). I have just used this card in my 1std and it worked fine. Also used my Extreme 111 in 1std and no problem. Both cards let me download the raw file in Bridge. However, neither card would download when I took a couple of shots with them in the km. If anyone can help me here I would be very grateful. Took the card used in KM to a friends house and she too could not download. I thought perhaps the card was at fault but as it works in the 1std it can't be that. Thanks in advance.

04-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). It should solve your problem.
04-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that I shall give it a try.
04-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps another RAW file format

I am probably wrong here as I do not know what Bridge is.

There are two kinds of RAW formats in the K-m, PEF and DNG. Perhaps try DNG as it is the standard RAW file more easily read by software. (the setting is > Menu > RAW file format).

04-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Tried to find a version of ACR but was unsure where to find it. Is there a free one Yves? Oh stefan Bridge is the programme that comes with Photoshop Cs3. But I will try putting it into dng but I thought I read somewhere that some information gets lost in that format. Hopefully I will find some answers somewhere. It is definately the camera that is causing the hic up and so I thin Yves you may be right.
04-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #6

Here is the one for CS3 (Windows). Apparently you can go to Help->Updates in CS3 to get it, instead of downloading it from the web site. (I don't know, I don't have CS3.)
04-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, I don't think anything is lost in DNG format. However there are a few differences; with DNG, metadata is often stored in-file while with PEFs, software will often store metadata in separate .XMP "sidecar" files along side the PEFs. Also, DNG's can be compressed on a PC but on Pentax cameras, DNG are uncompressed and PEFs are (losslessly) compressed, so you can fit more PEF's on a card than DNG's. In theory DNG may offer improvements in terms of widespread software support and longevity/compatibility though so far this has only been partially realized.