Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #1

PLEASE HELP!!! error msg when old lens attached

I get a msg ...F-- when I have attached an old lens that was my grandfathers.

I was told that any pentax lens with a K mount would be compatible with this camera

I have tried a few lenses, one of them being a
SMC Pentax- m 1:1.7

I have tried it with the flash, also with a portable flash and nothing helps

The lenses are all in working order, very clean and well looked after.

what am I doing wrong?????????

04-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

With manual lenses (no A setting), you need to first allow aperture ring in one of the menu settings (I'm not sure which menu path). You can check the manual. Then the camera will recognize that you have a manual lens attached. Depending on the camera model, you then need to press the green button (or AE lock) to do stop down metering. There are lots of threads on this in the forum.
04-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

The lens I assume is one of the old lenses without an A setting. It just doesn't know what the aperature is. You can use the lens in manual or aperature priority. Just make sure you have the camera set to allow non A settings. Have fun with your new found lenses. Thered's nothing wrong with the lens or the camera.
04-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Bubblee,

When using an M lens, you need to go to the costum settings and enable "permit use of lenses with aperture ring"

Use M mode, turn the aperture ring to desired aperture, and press the green button. I don't remember if the F-- will be displayed using an M lens... I think it will be but don't quote me on it as I don't own one. You cannot use the aperture dial on the camera body because it's not an A lens.

Cheers.

edit* got beaten to the punch

Last edited by Andi Lo; 04-21-2009 at 07:07 PM.
04-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just to alay your fears, the F-- message on the top lcd is normal. This is because the M lens will short out all of the lens contacts on the camera and the camera will interpret that as a manual lens and will not display any aperture information because it cannot get any from the lens.

Don't panic.
04-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Google "pictorial guide manual lens pentax" to find Sean Nelson's writeup on drpeview containing all the information you ever cared to know about the subject.
04-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There really really really really needs to be some sort of sticky on the "F-- with old lens" issue.

04-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think instead of F---

Pentax should show the page number in the manual that explains this.

Or the rear screen gives a message like:

"it appears this is the first time you have used a fine vintage pentax lens, please read pages xxx-xxx of the manual. Click here to not show this message again."

Not to flame the OP, but this has got to be the number one question posted by people that have a new pentax and an old lens. You would think Pentax could make it a little easier to understand what is happening.

By the way, the "clunk" you feel in your camera when you shift it from side to side, is the SR mechanism.

I think that answers the second most popular question.

Be aware of old Ricoh lenses. They get stuck on autofocus Pentax bodies.

Welcome to the forum, Hope you enjoy your new gear!
04-22-2009, 01:48 AM   #9

Using manual lenses.

We've all been there, don't worry. The F error is dispayed every time with a manual lens as has already been said. You should also get a focal length displayed on the LCD as soon as you switch on if you have Shake reduction (SR) applied. This again, as previously stated is because there is no info coming from the lens to camera. I think the default on my K100D Super is 50mm. This can be changed. Obviously only if you have a different focal length lens fitted. Rather than me tie myself and anybody else in knots with my half understanding (it's an age thing. Low brain cell count ). Here is a worthwhile link to an excellent illustrated article for the K100D Super, applicable (I think) to most Pentax DSLR's out at the moment.
Pictorial guide to using manual lens

Hope it helps explains. Ray

Last edited by gowerray; 04-22-2009 at 06:04 AM.
04-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

definitely been there. in fact, i once missed out on buying a great old manual lens cheap from a local seller because i didnt know this and mounted the lens and couldn't make it work with my camera. doh!