Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PEF or DNG???

Are there any benefits to either RAW format? I have PS Elements and Pentax Photo lab, but I was wondering if there are any benefits of using either in various circumstances.

What is the difference?

04-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
Are there any benefits to either RAW format? I have PS Elements and Pentax Photo lab, but I was wondering if there are any benefits of using either in various circumstances.

What is the difference?
PEF is Pentax's native format. DNG is Adobe's attempt to come up with a standard RAW image format. I do not know of another camera that even gives the choice of native/DNG formats.

Practically speaking, PEF is losslessly compressed, and you can get more images on the same card, or transfer images to and from the card in slightly less time.
04-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Practically speaking, PEF is losslessly compressed, and you can get more images on the same card, or transfer images to and from the card in slightly less time.

Does the DNG lose anything?
04-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i used to shoot DNG because it was easier for me to process using the software i had, but now i have lightroom i just shoot PEF and fit more shots onto my card!

04-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I suggest browsing these forums - this question comes up on a weekly basis.

Short answer: there is no difference in the content of PEF and DNG. Same image data packaged into a different box, that's all. The PEF files generated by the camera are smaller than DNG files generated by the camera, but DNG files generated by the free Adobe DNG Converter are smaller still. The main advantage of DNG is that metadata (keywords, captions, processing parameters, etc) that is added by your favorite RAW processing program can be stored directly within the file rather than requiring a "sidecar" XMP file.
04-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Albert: (edit) disregard. senior moment.

I shoot DNG myself and mostly for the reasons Marc mentions - no sidecar files to futz with. I also use Lightroom 2.3 and I have started to use the "Convert to DNG" import option. That cuts the size of my RAW files down by about 1/2 on the hard drive (12-15MB rather than 22-26MB). I use 8GB cards and the only times I have filled up a card during a shoot was when covering events.