Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Big time Noob Q

Hi,

I just got the battery grip for my k200d and noticed that other than shutter release, the only button that re-appears is the Auto exposure lock (AE-L) button...

Other than locking photos from being deleted, I have no clue what I can do with this when actually taking a snap.. please help a brother out! Thanks

04-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

AE-L (auto exposure lock) allows you to take a meter reading in one of the auto exposure modes and then hold that exposure (by holdong the button down) while you recompose the picture.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-22-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Bad information alert!!!!
04-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

when you are previewing images using that button can also lock the images to be prevented from an accidental delete, i think.. i never used the feature, but its there.
04-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my K10D, the same button that is AE-Lock in Shooting mode is the Protect key in Playback mode. In shooting mode, it lets you lock the camera's auto exposure on something then recompose. In playback mode, it'll protect images from deletion, like for example if you "Delete all". It will NOT protect images from formatting the card.

04-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
when you are previewing images using that button can also lock the images to be prevented from an accidental delete, i think.. i never used the feature, but its there.
I did not know that. Pressing the AE-L button while reviewing brings up a write protect menu.
How cool is that?
Thanks Goosh!!
04-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I did not know that. Pressing the AE-L button while reviewing brings up a write protect menu.
How cool is that?
Thanks Goosh!!
I didn't know that either! Thanks Goosh. Anymore secerts this camera has that we don't know about?
04-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

each pentax camera is actually a well hidden ninja

04-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

BTW, with all this talk about the secondary functions of the AE-L button, I wanted to be sure the *real* purpose *(which was mentioned, but not dwelled upon) is clear: it's what allows you to meter off something that is kind of "average" in lightness/darkness, then reframe your shot so you can et a well-exposed picture of something that is unusually bright or unusually dark. It's the normal way you'd take a picture of someone with the sky, behind them, for instance. Since the sky is so much brighter than the person (unless the sun is shining directly on them), you'll get an underexposed shot if you just point and shoot. But if you point at the ground or something else about the same brightness as the person, hit AE-L, then frame your picture and shoot, you'll get the exposure you probably wanted. When using any automatic exposure mode, this is / should be / can be an extremely common operation, and *that's* why it is on the grp - not to provide a shortcut to protecting files from being erased.
04-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Thank you, so that is what the blue key symbol above AE-L means.
17 000+ pictures later i am still learning.

Cheers. Mike.
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Also for use in Manual mode (at least on the k20d) it allows you to keep the same exposure while changing the exposure settings (aperture / shutter speed).

Try it out... in M mode, set at say f/8 and 1/500, push the AE-L button (you'll see a * appear in the viewfinder), and then by turning the aperture e-dial to set f/5.6, you'll see the Shutter speed has increased to 1/1000 - very handy.
04-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, with all this talk about the secondary functions of the AE-L button, I wanted to be sure the *real* purpose *(which was mentioned, but not dwelled upon) is clear: it's what allows you to meter off something that is kind of "average" in lightness/darkness, then reframe your shot so you can et a well-exposed picture of something that is unusually bright or unusually dark. It's the normal way you'd take a picture of someone with the sky, behind them, for instance. Since the sky is so much brighter than the person (unless the sun is shining directly on them), you'll get an underexposed shot if you just point and shoot. But if you point at the ground or something else about the same brightness as the person, hit AE-L, then frame your picture and shoot, you'll get the exposure you probably wanted. When using any automatic exposure mode, this is / should be / can be an extremely common operation, and *that's* why it is on the grp - not to provide a shortcut to protecting files from being erased.
Thanks everyone, that was a great explanation Marc - just what I needed.

Stay tuned for my next NOOB question...
04-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Also for use in Manual mode (at least on the k20d) it allows you to keep the same exposure while changing the exposure settings (aperture / shutter speed).

Try it out... in M mode, set at say f/8 and 1/500, push the AE-L button (you'll see a * appear in the viewfinder), and then by turning the aperture e-dial to set f/5.6, you'll see the Shutter speed has increased to 1/1000 - very handy.
For clarification: the above is true if you have a lens with A position on the aperture ring, and the aperture is set to A. The camera can only control the aperture if the lens' aperture ring is set to the A position.
04-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
For clarification: the above is true if you have a lens with A position on the aperture ring, and the aperture is set to A. The camera can only control the aperture if the lens' aperture ring is set to the A position.
Doh! - good point. I sold my M lenses, and seldom shoot my few Taks, and forgot about the truly manual world for a second there - thanks for keeping me on my toes.
04-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But if you point at the ground or something else about the same brightness as the person, hit AE-L, then frame your picture and shoot, you'll get the exposure you probably wanted.
Should you focus before or after pointing at the ground, or does it not matter?
04-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scatron Quote
Should you focus before or after pointing at the ground, or does it not matter?
unless you have the link focus with meter option enabled, it does not matter, the two are not related.