Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Big time noob Q #2

I thought I'd give you all a break to answer some real easy stuff.

I've used the EV function quite a bit to brighten or darken shots that need some fixing, but what is it actually doing? For example, if I increase to +1.0 EV, is the exposure increasing via increased shutter speed or faster aperture (or something I don't even know about?)

Thanks!

oh and btw, how come in my User CP, threads i've posted don't show up in the subscribed threads tab? Thanks again!

04-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
I've used the EV function quite a bit to brighten or darken shots that need some fixing, but what is it actually doing? For example, if I increase to +1.0 EV, is the exposure increasing via increased shutter speed or faster aperture (or something I don't even know about?)
Depends on the mode you're in - in Av or Tv mode, it changes shutter speed or aperture, respectively. In other modes, I have no idea, I took a quick look and it seemed rather random - but you can look at the settings and watch them change as you change EV, and maybe figure it out.

QuoteQuote:
oh and btw, how come in my User CP, threads i've posted don't show up in the subscribed threads tab? Thanks again!
I think you have to set something in your profile so that you're automatically subscribed to threads you post in. Dig around, I recall it was pretty self-explanatory... once I found it!

Julie
04-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

EV compensation can only change ISO, shutter speed, or aperture - those are the only things that can affect exposure. If you're in a mode where *you* select one or two of those parameters (eg, in Av you select aperture; in TAv you select both shutter speed and aperture), then it will change one of the *other* parameters, according to whatever voodoo it chooses.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 04-24-2009 at 10:38 AM.
04-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Depends on the mode you're in - in Av or Tv mode, it changes shutter speed or aperture, respectively. In other modes, I have no idea, I took a quick look and it seemed rather random - but you can look at the settings and watch them change as you change EV, and maybe figure it out.

Julie
On the K20D (what I have next to me for reference), this is only 100% true when your ISO is set to a fixed setting - if I have ISO set to Auto, EV compensation will sometimes vary ISO, leaving shutter speed alone rather than slowing it down "too much". You can set a fixed ISO, and the camera will have to do EV comp. with the shutter speed (in Av mode).

EDIT: Just gotta say that Marc's answers are invariably more succinct and educational than mine - it's embarrassing .

04-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
EV compensation can only change ISO, shutter speed, or aperture - those are the only things that can affect exposure. If you're in a mode where *you* select one or two of those parameters (eg, in Av you select aperture; in TAv you select both shutter speed and aperture), then it will change one of the *other* parameters, according to whatdever voodoo it chooses.
Heh, camera voodoo, I like!

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Just gotta say that Marc's answers are invariably more succinct and educational than mine - it's embarrassing .
Yeah, well at least you didn't entirely forget about ISO... serves me right for dashing off an answer without thinking about it. I usually nail the ISO down at 200 (lowest on K100) because I shoot primarily during the day, outdoors, in full light, and I don't like things changing without my knowing, with the result that I sometimes forget that ISO can be adjusted!

That's what great about this forum, it keeps you on your toes...

Julie
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for those comments! It helps that I've probably answered variations on this same question 100 times before :-). You get good at explaining something when you do it over and over.
04-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
EV compensation can only change ISO, shutter speed, or aperture - those are the only things that can affect exposure. If you're in a mode where *you* select one or two of those parameters (eg, in Av you select aperture; in TAv you select both shutter speed and aperture), then it will change one of the *other* parameters, according to whatdever voodoo it chooses.
Hey Marc?

Were is the voodoodoo setting on my K10D?

On my mode dial I see all the AE modes and an X.

Does X mark the spot?

04-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well,

there's the aperture voodoo (Av mode), the time voodoo (Tv mode) and the total abominal voodoo (TAv mode)!

04-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well,

there's the aperture voodoo (Av mode), the time voodoo (Tv mode) and the total abominal voodoo (TAv mode)!
LOL Bigtime!
04-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Changing the Ev value effectively changes the result of the light measuring subsystem as it is passed on to the exposure subsystem. So, the camera will act as if the light was more or less than captured as dictated by the Ev compensation set.

You might get the same (or better) results using another approach.
I don't know what camera you have, but my K10D can link the light measuring to the focus point used, by changing one of the user settings.
Also you can do spot metering. By using these two possibilities that you can often avoid manually changing the Ev.

Yet another option working to my satisfaction is by using the Auto Exposure Lock. Point (either in spot or not) to a scene which is lit like you want to. Half press the shutter while holding AE-L. This will freeze the exposure value for 30s. Now recompose your shot and press the shutter.

I hope this helps.

- Bert
04-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.