Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How do you change your lens quickly?

I've been using my new Pentax for a week now and I am wondering if there are any ways to change between my normal lens and tele lens quickly. By the time I am ready with the change I have already forgotten what I wanted to take pictures of...

04-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There was just a thread on this topic a few weeks ago - see the responses here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/55055-changing-lenses.html
04-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My bad, I suppose I spend most of the time fumbling in my handbag for the second lens. :P
04-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

with some practice you will no doubt find the way that works best and quickly for you.

i do one of two ways depending on whether there is a surface available (table, carseat, opened backpack, etc). I am always wearing the camera around my neck while doing both to prevent dropping it.

1) if i have a surface, i cap up the outgoing lens and set the lens to be attached front-cap facing down and loosen the rear cap, leaving it in place to keep out dust. then, press lens release with right hand while twisting off exiting lens with left hand - place this lens face down next to the other and set the loose rear cap on the other lens. now grap the incoming lens and twist it on. if i am in an obviouslt dusty or windy place, i try to keep the open camera body aiming downward and do this as quick as possible. finally, after new lens is attached, i go back and screw on the rear cap to the removed lens and place it in my bag/pocket, etc...

2) if no surface available (such as while standing in line at space mountain with my kids, i do it differently. my hand is big enough to do this but if you have small hands or big lenses, this may not work. first, i make sure both lenses have the front caps on and are zoomed in so they are in their shortest dimension. uncap rear of the incoming lens and hold it pointing toward you securely in the left hand near the front of its focus ring. bring this lens end to end with the mounted lens, allowing both lenses to make contact cap to cap. i make sure the little orange dot is pointing to my left side in a 9 o'clock position. now, wrap your hand around the front of both lenses securely and hold them steady (if you arent feeling it, dont do it). next, holding the camera with the right hand, simply press the release button while rotating the camera counterclockwise to release the lens. now, carefully move both lenses away with the left hand and swivel the wrist to bring the mount of the new lens to the camera. the little orange dot is already lined up. make contact and while holding the left hand still, rotate the camera (not the lens) clockwise with the right hand until it clicks. pull the outbound lens away and cap it. done. whew, it is easier than it reads.

Last edited by mikeSF; 04-24-2009 at 11:04 AM.
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There was just a thread on this topic a few weeks ago - see the responses here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/55055-changing-lenses.html
doh, who knew? i just typed all that for nuttin'. haha.
there is pretty much no topic that hasnt been addressed in here and explained well by Marc and the others, haha...when i am hunting, i typically skip to the sabatella response, because he explains things really well.
04-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok. Look I am certainly not above changing my own lenses. I change my lenses one pant leg at a time just like all you normal, everyday common folk.