Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Viv S1 and New Pentax's

Quick question, I've had many yes's and no's and possibly's when I ask people in my town this question, but really no direct honest 100% answers...

Can all the Vivitar S1 Lenses be used on the newer Pentax DSLR's, such as the K2000, X70, and/or K20D?

If not, then is there any DSLR usable with these lenses? Or should I just invest in a new set of lenses along with the camera, and what kind of complications would I have in using these lenses (if any)?

Sorry this isn't that well typed, I'm getting ready for work, but I've been trying to g et this honestly answered for days now before I buy a new camera.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me

04-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Forum Member

Yes, all the Vivitar Series 1 k-mount lenses will mount on all the Pentax DSLRs. Those with the A setting on the aperture ring will also be able to use all the metering modes as well. No k mount of any type will mount on the X70 as it is not a DSLR and does not have a lens that can be removed.

Still whatever camera you opt to buy, I'd suggest getting the kit lens with it as it is usually included for a dirt cheap price.
04-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AS stated, they will all fit and work on the relevant Cam bodies, but if you plan on buying a Series 1, get either Version 1, 2 , or 3. Only V3's had the A version of either 1, 2 or 3, but not all V3's were A built, only some.

If you're lucky, very lucky, you might find an A in V3 of Series 1 , but they will be pricey if the seller knows what they've got.

I bought my Series 1 V3 with A setting from a shop for £58 and sold it on for £200, and then promptly bought the highly regarded SP Tamron 70-210 ( even more highly prized than the Viv 1,2 or 3 ) for half the price i sold the Viv for
04-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
AS stated, they will all fit and work on the relevant Cam bodies, but if you plan on buying a Series 1, get either Version 1, 2 , or 3. Only V3's had the A version of either 1, 2 or 3, but not all V3's were A built, only some.

If you're lucky, very lucky, you might find an A in V3 of Series 1 , but they will be pricey if the seller knows what they've got.

I bought my Series 1 V3 with A setting from a shop for £58 and sold it on for £200, and then promptly bought the highly regarded SP Tamron 70-210 ( even more highly prized than the Viv 1,2 or 3 ) for half the price i sold the Viv for
Just want to add that the above info (about different versions) is about Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm zoom lens. There are a few other lenses in the Series 1 as well.

All (or maybe almost all) of them listed here: Vivitar Series I by Robert Monaghan | Lenses, Lens, Series, Vivitar, Zoom | Manual Focus Lenses

04-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok, last explanation/question

I had a ME Super (had), and recently I got very brave and curious and probably did something bad, anyway, I mounted the Vivitar MC 75-205mm 2x matched multiplier to my ME, then mounted the Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter 1.5x to the multiplier, then attached my 77-400mm Vivitar S1 to that... So in short, I realize that using the tele converter and the matched multiplier together was prolly what killed it, but I'd just like conformation before I wonder if maybe I did something else wrong...

I ask because right after I attached all that,l before I could even wind up the film, the mirror and shutter tripped and locked, resulting to pushing me into home camera repair =\
04-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, now that I read what I type, I see what prolly went wrong... 75-205mm matched multiplier should be used with the 75-205mm lens... yeh... Failure on my part to read and take time to understand before I let my curiousity run wild XD

Does bring an interesting question still though, can the matched multiplier be used with t he tele converter with the 75-205mm?